Chapter 2 [SAMPLE]

POV Victoria

POV Victoria

France captivates me. Everything about this unfamiliar place has drawn me in, giving me a thrill like no other.

I drone out the noise of my classmates and stare out the bus window. The people riding their bikes, the cute cafés in the streets, and the beautiful architecture all rush by in a blur.

In the distance, the Eiffel Tower is visible for what seems like miles.

I remain transfixed by the Haussmann-style architecture.

"Beautiful," I breathe.

"It is, isn't it?" Mrs. Ross says. I turn to her and notice the bus has stopped moving, and we are the only ones left inside. "You were daydreaming. I had to make sure you got off the bus."

"Sorry," I say, my face turning warm with embarrassment.

"It's okay," she assures me, and we exit the charter bus and head toward the hotel.

"Wow..." I crane my neck to marvel at the thirty stories of classic French architecture.

The pastel blue roof shingles blend in with the sky, and thick green vines drape down the hotel like rain.

When Mrs. Ross opens the glass doors of the hotel, the smell of sandalwood fills my senses.

I admire the Greek-themed interior of the hotel and find my cousin sitting on a couch with our friend Becca.

I sit beside Sofia, waiting for our teacher to give us our room key.

Not long after, Mrs. Ross calls my name, and I walk toward her with Sofia, Becca, and a girl named Elizabeth, who we met on the bus.

I take the dainty gold key, and we make our way toward the elevator with our suitcases rolling close behind us.

"What are we doing first?" Becca asks as we make our way into the room.

Sofia pulls out the itinerary we got on the bus.

"We're going to get some brunch." She purses her lips as she brings the paper closer to her eyes. "Then we're doing a Paris city walk tour to visit Île de la Cité, Notre Dame Cathedral, and the Latin Quarter." Sofia grins when she pronounces the items on the list in a decent French accent.

I make my way toward the window in the room to check out the view, and once again, I'm in awe.

"I never want to leave," I say, while looking at the Eiffel Tower. Sofia and Becca agree.

I notice Elizabeth in the corner of the room, hunched over with her knotted fingers resting on her lap. When she looks up, I send her a friendly smile. Her shoulders relax, and she smiles in return.

"Mrs. Ross wants us to meet her in the lobby," Becca says, putting her phone back in her purse.

I nod, going to my purse to make sure I have everything I need. While rummaging through my bag, I see my passport, and I'm reminded of my mom's warning about pickpockets in certain areas of Paris.