Chapter 1 [SAMPLE]

POV Victoria

POV Victoria

People rush through the airport in a hurry, trying to get to their flight. Their suitcases roll, swinging from side to side, hitting bystanders. They're caught with a keen determination to get to their 10 a.m. flight before it leaves without them.

A cold sensation cupping my cheek diverts my gaze away from the crowds of rushing people, and I'm met with the earthy brown of my mom's eyes. The corners of my mouth rise to let her know I'm okay, and I lean into her touch.

My eyes soften at the sight of tears resting on the bridge of her eyes.

I offer her a weak smile.

"Mom, everything will be alright. Don't cry," I beg, knowing the moment her tears fall, so will mine.

She gives a weak nod.

From over her shoulder, I catch sight of my aunt hugging Sofia goodbye.

My cousin senses my stare and mouths a silent 'help me.'

I point a finger at my emotional mom, and Sofia's hazel eyes widen like saucers. A cringe rises on her face.

And she thinks she has it bad.

I ease from my mom's warm embrace and give her one last smile.

She motions with her eyes toward my dad, who stands behind us in uncertainty.

Nodding, I face the rest of my family, and my eyes soften at the sight of my two siblings and tall, unemotional dad.

I'll be back from France before they know it, but because I'm Mexican, this meant we went everywhere together, but not this time. This time, it's only me and Sofia going to France.

I give my dad an assuring smile, expecting one in return, but he stays emotionless.

My dad, like most men, uses a stone-cold front to hide his true feelings from the world.

I wrap him in a tight embrace.

His 6'6-foot frame alongside my 5'7-foot frame means he has to bend to embrace me properly.

My smile widens when his arms wrap around my waist, and he holds me tight, squeezing as I pull away.

"Dad, nothing is going to happen. I'm an adult. I can take care of myself."

He sighs. "I know you're eighteen already." Comes his gravelly voice, and I can hear his Spanish accent leaking through his words.

It's true. I'm eighteen, about to be nineteen in a month. There's no reason for him to be this worried.

"Say your last goodbyes to your family," Mrs. Ross, the teachers taking us abroad, says while looking at her smartwatch. Her eyes widen when she sees the time. "We need to board the plane in forty minutes!"

I release my dad from our embrace when a deep timber from my left catches my attention.

"I can't believe you're going to Europe." My brother grunts.

I laugh and bring him into a hug.

"Don't miss me too much."

"I won't." A grin stretches on his lips. "Remember to bring me something cool," he says, pulling away.

Rolling my eyes, I nudge his shoulder and turn to my sister. Our eyes lock, and she sends me an excited smile.

I let out a breath, giving her a smile of my own.

Her forehead creases when she sees my smile doesn't reach my eyes.

"Come here," Eloisa fusses, her arms opened wide for me. "You're going to have so much fun!" she chirps, and she's right. This is an exciting moment in my life. I'm going to France!

"Make sure to take a picture touching the Eiffel Tower and call us when you can," my sister says, hugging me tightly and then pulling away.

"Alright, everyone, let's head toward TSA," Mrs. Ross says and before I part from my family, I embrace my parents one more time.

"Thank you," I mumble, grateful to have two amazing parents who did everything possible for me to go to France. But now I feel guilty because I'm about to see the world while they stay at home.

My mom caresses the back of my head.

"Have fun Mija," my dad says, nudging my chin.

I take an unsteady breath and detach myself from the familiar warmth of my parents.

The rest of the boarding process was hectic, and now in my seat, I can breathe.

My stomach knots up, and my heart flutters when the lights in the plane turn off.

There's a slight beeping noise, and the lights above our seats flash, telling us to put our seatbelts on.

Everyone becomes silent except for a baby crying in the back.

"Good morning. We'll be leaving Los Angeles International Airport in ten minutes and are expected to land in Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport at 7:30 a.m."

The pilot's words make my stomach churn and my knee bounce.

I glance to my left, where Sofia sits in the window seat. She smiles, showing her perfectly white, straight teeth. I give her a smile of my own, and as the plane takes off, only one thought is on my mind.

Au revoir California, Bonjour France.