Chapter 28

Jackie spent a few seconds outside the apartment door, her senses barely working as she struggled with the tears. Dean had not driven off yet because she could still hear Beatle’s engine.

There was only one key but why wouldn’t it work?

“Shit!” she shouted when it fell off the ground. She did not dare turn around because she could still feel Jam’s presence and he was looking at her, probably wondering what the hell was wrong.

And Dean was still there, probably still assessing her speech or maybe acting as a gentleman that he was and waiting for her to finally get inside.

But her key is not working.

She stomped on it as a tear fell off her eyes. “Stupid key!”

She straightened and faced the door again. “Dannie!” She banged on it with her palms. “Dannie!”

As she bent down to grab her key from the ground, the door opened. She hastily wiped her eyes.

“What’s wrong with you?” Dannie asked at the same time Jackie heard Dean drive Beatle away.

“Nothing,” she murmured, stood up and entered the apartment.

“Hey, are you sure you’re okay?” Dannie asked behind her.

“Yeah,” she answered, heading straight to the kitchen to get a glass of water, throwing the key and her bag on the carpet along the way.

She poured herself a cold one and as she drank, she saw Dannie looking at her with curiosity from the corner of her eye. And then her shoulders started shaking, her lips closed and the water started spilling down her chin, dripping on her clothes.

“Oh, God, Jackie,” Dannie softly said, taking the glass from her and setting it on the table as Jackie started to slump on the floor, crying her heart out.  Her friend joined her on the floor. “What happened?”

“I told him everything,” Jackie said between sobs. “I told him the truth and he didn’t understand! That moron! That heartless bastard! I hate him!”

Dannie was silent. She stayed with her at the kitchen floor, caressing her back as she cried.

A while later, Jackie was crying without tears.

“I won’t have the chance to see his tattoo.”

“What?” Dannie appeared to be lost.

“He has one. Just below his collarbone. I won’t get the chance to see it!” And then she started crying once more.

*****

They were now in the living room, Jackie’s head lying on Dannie’s lap.

“And I can no longer go to Art. I cannot see him play again.”

“You can always wear your stupid disguises,” Dannie tried to jest.

“And I won’t get to hear him sing again!” she cried out.

“He doesn’t really sing well.”

“I can’t wear his cap anymore. It smells nice.”

“We’ll get you one.”

“Toto will miss him.”

“Toto doesn’t like men.”

“I will miss him.”

“It will pass.”

*****

“You should take a bath,” Dannie ordered.