Chapter 19

I was on the verge of driving myself off the nearest cliff out of pure boredom. Come one, who ever thought that it would be a fun day? Yes, yes, there was this amazing view but I couldn’t enjoy it as much as everyone else. I couldn’t very well take a selfie with the hilltops at the background. And the only vehicle I could talk to, which was the bus, was parked too far away.

No one cared about the yellow Volkswagen sitting near the entrance.

Everyone else was busy with their activities.

I was only left to wonder how Jackie was dealing with Brian’s presence. She should be very careful around Dean. As far as Brian knew, they were together.

But I was more concerned about what that guy could do to her in this place. He had been acting creepy. Not his usual creepy-stalker self, but the creepy-psychopathic one. If I had any hairs on me, they would be standing up.

At the moment, I couldn’t hear what was happening, but I could see that the group was gathering around for another activity. Earlier, they did some sort of game where they had to build some sort of tower using sticks. I didn’t know what that activity was supposed to achieve, but I was pretty sure it had something to do with ‘team building’.

Whatever they were planning now, it seemed like there was going to be some action. Earlier, Victor had hidden something behind me and I wasn’t sure what it was.

  *****

“Now, listen up, guys,” Victor said over the chatters. “There are two groups here, right? We have Jamie, Daisy and Bernie for the yellow team and for the blue team we have Jackie, Joseph and Karen. As always, sir Dean will be participating by helping Brian and I with our next activities. Do you remember the number of points your group has?”

“Yeah,” everyone answered. The yellow team had 50 points so far while the blue team only had 30.

“Blue team, you need to catch up if you want to win the prize tomorrow. This will be our last activity for today and it is worth 20 points.”

Jackie looked at Karen. Her friend had been hard to lift up earlier during one of their activities due to her weight. “It’s okay,” she reassured her.

“You really need to lose weight, Ka,” said Joseph.

Jackie elbowed him.

“What?”

“Just see what I can do,” Karen bragged.

“The only chance we’ll get the prize tomorrow is if the last game will be an eating contest,” Joseph retorted.

“Shut up!” Karen and Jackie shouted.

The three of them cleared their throats when they saw the rest looking at them without any sign of humor. “Sorry,” Joseph murmured.

“That’s okay,” said Brian with his creepy smile. “Victor?”

“Okay!” Victor clapped his hands together and looked at the two teams. Dean was standing beside him in his outdoor getup which still amazed most of Jackie’s teammates. “We’re going to have a mini Amazing Race.”

Jackie and Joseph groaned. This meant they had to double their efforts. The other team jumped with excitement and Jackie secretly regretted not having picked the yellow card earlier that day.

“We have already prepared the different clues earlier. They are hidden within the vicinity of the resort. All you have to do is follow the instructions given to you and do the tasks required in order to get to the next clue and ultimately get to the final destination and win your points. The three members will need to reach the final destination at the same time.”