Chapter 2

"Jackie," Joseph uttered once again, his voice deathly serious.

"Okay, fine," she muttered and slowly walked to the elevator.

She was trying to come up with a good speech when she would finally hand in the report to her boss while inside the elevator. It stopped on the fourth floor and a man walked in with a greeting. She smiled and then she saw Brian walk by the doors just before it closed. Her problem came rushing back and she took out her phone to send a text to her boyfriend of two months.

We need to talk later.

Just as when she reached the ground floor, Kevin's reply came in. Okay.

Okay was enough for her. He better prove he was man enough to talk to Brian this time.

*****

My engines almost started up when I saw Jackie walking back. I was really hoping she would be having some of her usual out-of-the-office meetings. I was getting bored with no one but the self-centered and narcissistic BMW parked beside me.

But my bumper sagged when I saw Jackie's face. There was no way she was going out on a meeting today. She had that look she always wore whenever she was nervous or forgot something. And this time, it seemed both.

"I forgot my folder, Toto," she told me as she opened my door.

Great, I moaned. And then I saw him. What the hell? Could he be for real? Working hours just started and he was out here following Jackie like a hungry dog?

"Jackie, please, let's talk," Brian said, walking near.

"Brian!" Jackie jumped in shock, folder in hand. "What the hell are you doing here? Were you following me?"

Okay, it must be time to panic. Jackie was obviously afraid and it might be time for me to sound the alarm. Oh, wait. I didn't have one. I was just a poor, old, beaten beetle Volkswagen. But someone better give Brian a taste of his own medicine because he was obsessive about this stalking. It was no longer cute or funny.

"Just give me a chance, Jackie," he was saying.

"Stop this, Brian! I already told Kevin about this and he didn't like it." Liar. Kevin didn't care at all. It would have been more effective if she followed George's advice. She should have gone to her boss or the police.

"Then I'll talk to him!" Brian insisted. "Let's see if he's man enough."

"Get out of my way, Brian," Jackie warned as she slammed my door (ouch!), locked my door (as if anyone would even consider to steal me), and walked past him.

"I'll talk to your Kevin if you want, Jackie! I'll do anything for you!"

"Then get out of my life!" I heard Jackie shout back as she walked away with purposeful strides. Oh-oh, Jackie was really pissed.

*****

Jackie was shaking with fury as she stormed to the elevator doors.

"Jackie, if you'll just give me one chance, just one, I will--"

"Brian!" she shouted as she whirled around to glare at him. "Stop this or I will talk to my boss!"

For a moment, he appeared to be stupefied. And then he snorted. "Come on, Jackie, I am not doing anything to hurt you. He wouldn't care at all. I just want you to give me just a little bit of your attention."

"You're sick!" She turned away from the elevator and went to the direction of the stairs. She couldn't risk riding the elevator with him. Almost everyone was behind their desks by now.