Chapter 14

Jackie felt that the worlds collided against each other and fell down on her--on her plans.

Standing on stage, holding a microphone and making everyone gape in awe was the girl every man in the place wanted. She was just pure perfection even with her simple black shirt, baggy pants and baseball cap. Her face was giving too much of her beauty. Her cheekbones were high enough, her lips full and smiling like they were trying to keep a funny secret from slipping away. And her nose was just the right shape and height, something that Jackie had always wished she had. She was not that tall, but she was in complete proportion.

Jackie prayed that her hair, which was obviously pulled up and completely hidden underneath the baseball cap, was not long, dark and wavy.

And Jackie wished that she would sound awful and that her voice would make the gaping men in the crowd frown with disappointment, including Troy, Miguel and Lee.

But the singing started and Jackie was the only person who was greatly disappointed.

Alright!” the lead singer started, looking at the woman beside him.

And together they sang, “Yeah it’s been a bumpy road.” She sounded so cool, her voice just the right one for the song Compass by Lady Antebellum. “Roller coasters high and low.”

And when she sang the part with the roller coaster, she made a waving gesture with her hand and whirled around, getting a collective clap from the audience--except Jackie, of course.

Pedal fast, pedal hard

You won’t have to go that far

Jackie turned her eyes back on Dean Gamboa and for a moment, her heart leaped. His eyes met her and she thought she saw a smile on his face before his gaze returned to the woman who was the center of everyone’s attention.

Who the hell is she?

The only way to know the answer was to ask. Jackie vowed to do just that once the band would go on a break. She had to clear the woman’s role in her boss’ life once and for all. She was not that selfish as to ruin a relationship, but she was desperate enough to wish there was no relationship.

Troy, Miguel and Lee howled as the lead vocalist and the pretty singer sang the chorus.

So let your heart sweetheart be your compass when you’re lost

And you should follow it wherever you may go

When it’s all said and done, you can walk instead of run

‘Cause no matter what you’ll never be alone

Never be alone

Never be alone

The worse part for Jackie was when she saw Dannie and George look at the lady with smiles on their faces. Dannie rarely enjoyed such events and George had a completely different type of music to even put up a smile like that. It must mean that the lady in front of them was just amazing.

When the song ended, a series of claps erupted from everywhere and Jackie was forced to do the same. Fine, the lady was a great singer. She was pretty--fine, she was beautiful in a lot of way.

“I wonder if she’s single,” uttered Troy. No one paid him any attention because the vocalist was saying something.

“Tonight, we are glad to have here with us our dear friend, Nikki. Be nice to her, guys,” the vocalist said.