Hell Has Been Happening on a Daily Basis

It was lunch time already. Time passes by excessively fast when someone wants to kill you. And since Zach was too busy worshiping Jessica in her table along with her friends, Sophia sat alone in the table where the both of them usually sat. She didn't really mind at this point; the feeling of being talked about and glared at finally settled in. Typical high school.

She was too busy marinating in her loneliness to see Mason taking the seat opposite to her. Imagine the shock she felt when he brought his food tray with him. On the topic of his food tray, he had with him a juice box, an apple, and a beautifully cooked steak which she didn't know was being served in the crappy cafeteria.

"I think you're lost." She told him whilst trying to keep her hopes down, so she wouldn't get hurt in the end like she was oh so used to. He was kind of struggling to get in the really small and very tight lunch table and sit down.

"Why would you say that?" He puffed out as he accomplished the difficult task which was to be able to squeeze himself in considering how muscular his body was compared to Zach's, who glided in perfectly.

"Because you don't even realize that I'm in this table. Alone." It was hard to say it, but she had to accept the fact that her best friend of a lifetime has finally ditched her into loneliness and isolation. He would probably pick his knew girlfriend to replace her former spot as his partner at every school work.

"I'm not lost." He told her before digging his metal knife in his delicious steak. Sophia got suspicious not only because he just randomly decided to sit with her and embarrass himself in front of everyone, but the fact that the cafeteria never served steak that good looking nor do they allow the students here to wield something as dangerous as a not so plastic knife.

"Your friends are over there." She pointed to the other  popular table that was filled with the coolest and hottest guys in school, but it didn't mean anything to her because they were jerks whom got drooled over by Jessica's table who's only male population was Zach. It sucked ass that Zach looked happier with them than he ever did with her. It looked like he was making friends fast as all the hormonal girls started laughing at something he said.

"Why are you so sad, and why does that bitch Jessica keep looking at you?" He probably saw it due to her being so obvious. He was right though; Jessica did send her a hatred filled glare once in a while before she started rubbing her boyfriend in her face by doing PDA stuff, which was very revolting to Sophia.

"No one calls Jessica a bitch. If word reaches her, she will kill you." Sophia warned him, scared that Jessica really did hear it.

Mason raised his hands and gestured for her to calm down. "Dude, chill. I hold the same amount of power she does, sometimes more under the right circumstances. She can't hurt me, because she knows that I will get her back harder if she even tried." He explained calmly as he continued eating his steak.

"How did you even get a steak from a lunch lady anyway. This school only serves crap" She finally asked him. She was getting really fed up with him enjoying his meat while she was stuck with some weird slop thing on her tray. It wouldn't even be a shocker if it got mutated because it was exposed to radiation or something.

"I sometimes help the lunch lady after school, so she gives me the better food as a thank you." He said. What she just heard made her want to help out after school too, if it meant that she would get real edible food.

"And do you see what Jessica's eating?" She looked at her table to see the girl popular table eating the same crap she was eating. Mason was obviously rubbing it in her face that he was more powerful.

"See, I'm pretty sure that Jessica is stuck with the exact same bullshit on your tray because her power revolves around her being mean and pushing everyone around. Me, on the other hand, am getting the proper nutrients I need for a long hard day in school filling my head with all the knowledge for a brighter and better future." Everything he said sounded so fake and very transparent, but Sophia just rolled her eyes at him. He got some things right though.

"Okay hotshot, I get it. You may be higher than her." She confessed it to him. It seemed to have boosted his ego a million times judging by the proud glint in his eyes as well as his cocky smile. He had all the right though because he did some good things to raise his influence around the school. Though, he was still known for his multiple visits to the principal's office.

"So, care to tell me what your problem is?" She groaned. Why couldn't he just drop that topic.

"If you must now, Queen Bitch there." She subtly pointed her thumb to her table. "Is dating my best friend. And ever since then, how many days with her was more important than how many years with me." She hung her head in sadness and the fact that what she said was raw truth all around.

"And you had a crush on him since forever." Sophia's head looked up in shock on how he knew that. She was hanging on the million dollar question which was how the heck he knew that.

"When we met, you told me you had guy problems." He shrugged his shoulders as he explained his reason of knowing. Sophia nodded her head in understanding and let the memory flood back. She felt like an idiot for forgetting that little detail."Right." Was all she said.

"So what's up with you and Jessica?" His eyes started letting on more interest in her huge dilemma than he showed earlier. At least not all guys were self absorbed assholes who only liked talking about themselves and their abs.

"What?" She tried acting dumb so that she wouldn't have to tell him her very very very painful story of how her life started falling downhill faster than a child could solve one plus one.

"Don't act stupid, I have eyes and ears all over this school." He cocked his head to the side as he kept pushing her to tell him her side of the story.

She was contemplating in her head whether or not she wanted to spill all the details about how Jessica socially tormented her all high school long to a complete stranger who hasn't done anything to earn her trust whatsoever.

"Don't worry, she can't get to you whilst you're with me." Mason offered her a comforting smile which indeed gave her comfort; the smile as well as his words. It took Sophia a bit of time for her to make her a decision, but she decided to trust him and tell him all she has been through.

"She told me to not interfere with her relationship with Zach or else she'll make him ignore me and that she'll make my life hell—more than it's already been." Sophia was on the brink of crying. She couldn't imagine a life without her best friend, her brother. He was all she had left. She couldn't lose the one person who stood by her since forever.

Mason leaned forward and wiped the stray tear that she didn't know got out. She started rubbing and wiping her eyes furiously. Mason seized her hands in his and got her attention by leaning forward, closer than what she was used to.

"It's okay. I'll help you get your friend back okay." Sophia saw a side of Mason that she has never seen before. What he was showing was pure and genuine concern for her. Not many people noticed her, so she didn't get any sympathy from anyone except for Mason.

Sophia just nodded. When Mason saw that she was finally composed, he let her hands go.

"I should be getting to class right now." She hurried up and shoved all her things in he bag and quickly got up. When she passed Mason, she felt a hand grab her wrist. Her head looked down to see Mason trying to tell her something.

"If she hurts you in any way at all, tell me." He told her sternly. His eyes told her that he was ready to kill. There was some serious anger in his eyes.

Sophia just nodded her head and walked away.

As she walked pass all the lockers and the people making out, she started wondering why Mason was so concerned about her. If it wasn't for a few days ago, he probably would have never even noticed her. And why was Jessica so keen on making her life hell? What did she ever do to her?

As she walked in her classroom, Jessica was in the middle of the room as she held an evil smirk. What was going to happen to her this time?