Derek Hale - Surprised

Prompt - 16

"Why are you making that face?"
You blinked, pulling your skeptical gaze away from the ice rink you and Derek were standing next to. When you glanced back at him, his face had taken on a sour expression, and he was raising his bushy eyebrows at you.
"I'm just surprised," you told him.
His frown deepened. "Surprised?"
"It's just...the Derek Hale, fugitive of California, taking me ice skating? It's a little bizarre."
"I'm not a fugitive anymore," he reminded you. "At least not for killing that janitor."
You pursed your lips. "And what did Stiles say the FBI wanted with you?"
"You don't wanna know," he said, ending the subject. "Are your skates laced the right way?"
You glanced down at them curiously. "I think so?"
He sighed, and knelt in front of you to check them. Your lips twitched upward, and Derek glanced back up at you and he fiddled with your skates. "Stop smiling like that."
"Like what?"
"Like you think I'm adorable."
"Maybe I do think you're adorable."
"You weren't saying that when you were trying to kill me."
You gritted your teeth. "I wasn't trying to kill you. I was trying to help Braeden catch Kate. And even then, I did think you were pretty cute."
He huffed and rose to his feet. "You hit me pretty hard."
"Maybe I was crushing on you."
He rolled his eyes. "Do you want to skate or not?"
You smiled. "Show me how it's done, Hale."
He chuckled softly to himself. "You asked for it."
Your brows furrowed as he led you onto the ice, but you didn't question it. Derek was more of a shower than a teller, and most of the time, you didn't mind. Although when he let go of your hand to glide out onto the ice, you grabbed the railing in a panic.
He glanced back at you with a grin. "What's wrong, Y/n?"
You took one hesitant step forward, but wobbled on your skates. You grabbed back onto the railing in fear, and gulped. "It's just I-I've never done this before. You know that."
"Scared?" he asked, carving figure-eights into the ice as if it was second nature.
"No," you said stubbornly. "Just shocked at your little ice-fairy impression."
He laughed softly to himself and skated up next to you. "The Y/n Y/l/n, big bad mercenary, scared of a little ice skating?"
"I am not scared!" you hissed.
"Then grab my hand."
You swallowed. "I don't like feeling out of control."
He tilted his head. "I've noticed. But come on, I've got you."
You took a deep breath, and slowly reached out for the hand he was offering.
"Happy?" you asked.
"Happy," he agreed. "But you might wanna take your other hand off the rail first."
You flushed, and grabbed his other hand. He leaned forward, causing you to tense up as his lips met your ear. His breath tickled your neck, and you forced your expression to remain neutral.
"Your heart's racing," he murmured.
"I've never been this close to a werewolf without them trying to kill me before," you admitted softly.
"Or you trying to kill them," he added.
"I'm not trying to kill you now," you pointed out.
He pulled away, and raised his eyebrows. "You sure about that?"
"Are you?"
He squeezed your hands, and suddenly tugged you forward roughly. You yelped and grabbed onto him, causing him to flash another grin at you. "Yeah. Because I'm pretty sure you need me right now."
You sucked in a sharp breath as he tugged you along. "Just slide each skate forward. Yeah, like that."
He pulled you around on the ice, slowly working you up to the put where you could glide beside him. You were no ice princess, but surprisingly, he got you to a point where you probably wouldn't fall. After about thirty minutes, you eyed him as he skated ahead of you.
You looked at the smile on his face, and you suddenly couldn't help the burst of happiness rushing through you. So much of your life-both of your lives-was danger and disaster. It was nice to just glide for a little bit.
You skated up to him, causing him to glance over in surprise. "You caught up to me."
You scoffed. "Like it was hard."
He grinned, and you smiled back at him. "Who knew you could be such a good teacher?"
"Not you."
"I can admit I'm wrong," you told him.
Then, in a sudden rush of boldness, you leaned in a pressed a kiss to Derek's cheek. He tensed up so quickly that his skates lagged on the ice, and he spilled down onto the ground.
"Oh my god," you breathed. "Shit!"
You grabbed onto the rail and turned around, dropping to your knees on the ice. He stared up at you from the ground, slightly stunned from the fall, but more embarrassed than anything else.
"Derek?" you asked. "Are you alright?"
He let out a puff of air. "You sure you're not trying to kill me?"
You rolled your eyes. "Oh my god. No, I'm not trying to kill you."
"Mm you sure?" he asked. "You might have to give me mouth to mouth."
You scoffed. "Nice try. Not that I'd complain, but-"
His fingers suddenly locked around your wrist, tugging you down and closer to him. One hand came up to brace the back of your neck, guiding your lips to his. They were cold, but there was nothing about the kiss that was unpleasant. And as chilly as you were, you found yourself not wanting to pull away.
When he pulled back, you found him looking up at you with a goofy smile on his face. He brushed a piece of hair away from your eyes, and you glanced out around you. "People are staring."
"I'm Derek Hale, remember?" he asked. "Fugitive of California? People always stare."
"I guess you're right."
"Do you care?"
You grinned, and leaned back down to brush your lips against his. It had been a day full of surprises, but you were used to those. Granted, they were usually of the supernatural variety, but this kind was much better. And if Derek kept surprising you, you didn't mind one bit.
"No," you said softly.
You leaned in for one more kiss, capturing his lips in a moment that you hoped didn't have to end anytime soon. If you were lucky, maybe it never would.