Chapter Twenty Six

The bobblehead moved around when papers were thrown at the desk, but Heidi stayed still leaning her head watching the odd figured toy. Who even invented these things? Such a stupid idea yet the inventor is probably sitting on an island. 

"I understand you are very worried about your student." The police officer said twirling his thumbs in discomfort. "If it would make you feel better I would love to take you out for dinner."

She sighed looking up at the cuban man who smiled awkwardly. "I'm gay."

"You're too pretty for that sweetie." 

Realizing she didn't have the patience for what was happening Heidi rubbed her forehead, "and you are too ugly to be in public."

Walking over seeing the man get up angrily Patty let her hand rest on her ex coworkers shoulder. She could see the way her mind ran with questions. The way it was effecting her was odd, but she didn't have time to dwell on odd behaviors. Everyone deals with emotions differently and everyone was indeed dealing with too many. A teacher kidnapped a student. An adult that the girls entrusted with almost everything turns around and drops her mask. She felt like it was partially her fault. She felt something was off when she first met her, but she can't say no to hiring someone just because of a hunch. And especially not when people higher up had wonderful things to say about her. Did they know?

"How about you go get some sleep Heidi?"

She shook her head while picking the loose skin on her nails, "I don't have time for that. Mrs. Hue is supposed to call me soon."

"How is she?" The headmistress asked pulling up the chair and sitting in front of her.

"She keeps herself busy."

"How are you?"

Biting her lip Heidi smiled, "I'm fucking pissed." Flicking the bobble head once more she watched it closely trying to think of what to say. "Do you think she's safe?"

"If what I heard of her is right I don't think she would hurt the girl she treasures so deeply." Pushing her glasses back up to their spot Patty smoothed her shirt. "Have the police said anything? Is there anything we can do?"

"No." Getting up slowly Heidi stretched out her neck, "You know what sucks." Not waiting for a reply she laughed, "Harper probably wanted to go with her."

"We don't know that." The headmistress stated quickly. 

Picking up the folders that were left Heidi sighed instead of replying. She didn't feel like being preached too. Scanning the words carefully the blonde bit her lip. She hadn't seen the file about the nun who was sued. In a way it's sad to think Ava was abused at such an early age making her the way she is today. Flipping the page she pretended to be listening to Patty talk but she couldn't make herself listen. She tried to be comforting but it wasn't working. Her voice wasn't smooth like other german accents she heard. It was sharp and sour like a gym couch that drank before going to work. 

Stopping at a certain part of the document Heidi's eyes furrowed. Going back to the beginning she read carefully:

Ava Rose has been awarded compensation for the effect of abuse on her mental and physical health. Federal law requires that all state compensation programs cover the following crime-related costs:

Lost wages or loss of supportMedical costsMental health counseling 

Francine Miller must pay $500,000 to the victim Ava Rose by end date. 

Providing evidence and agreeing to plead guilty Francine Miller left her home in Ava Rose name...

Looking up from the tan paper Heidi widened her eyes and looked at Patty. "I think I know where they are."