Chapter 6: Aggressive Genes And Absurd Things

CHAPTER 6: AGGRESSIVE GENES AND ABSURD THINGS

It was a calm afternoon. The sun was blazing orange, spreading flames into the broad sky, giving me a great view as I stared at its beauty through the car window. We're on our way to the hotel located outside town, surrounded by mountains and forests. The Leadership training and Seminar would officially start tomorrow morning so all council members from different schools were required to attend the orientation this evening.

This week-long activity was actually a blessing and a curse for me. No pretense would take place there and I would be myself all throughout. On the downside, Chase wouldn't treat me as his girlfriend. But since I was still pissed at him, it was fine.

I was planning on sleeping the whole car ride until I acknowledged the reality that it was quite impossible due to the unbearable squeals at the back seat. Catherine, and her insensitive character, was all over Chase. She laughed for no particular reasons, having inappropriate reactions at his every word. I was certain she's minutes away from kissing the ground once I got tired of pretending I wasn't irritated and decided to push her out of the car.

Allen was sick so there were only nine of us excused from classes for this trip. We rode in two different vehicles. Me, Rielle, Chase and Catherine went together. We're using Chase's car but Rielle's the one driving. I had a suspicion that he didn't want to drive because I insisted on riding shotgun. And I knew he hated me for some reason. I couldn't bear the thought of him seeing me knowing he didn't like the sight.

The lobby was full of people from other schools. Endless nonsense chatters welcomed new guests, greetings and compliments escaping everyone's lips. I hurriedly took our keys, hoping to have a few minutes of sleep before tonight's briefing.

"They gave us five rooms. So who's going solo?" I asked them when we settled at a nearby couch. They all raised their hands. Well, all except Chase.

"Rielle, you're with me so NO," I told her, giving her a death glare. She nodded in submission and took a key.

Catherine hugged Chase's arms and whispered something to him. Okay, that's it! That was the last straw! I threw the keys directly at her head.

She screamed in shock and pain. Her face was already wet with tears while mine was perfectly still. They all swiveled their heads and looked at me, stunned with the sudden turn of events.

"What?" I asked, poker-faced.

"Why did you do that?" asked James in return.

"It slipped from my hand. I'm sorry. I did not do that on purpose," I explained, lying.

"Yes you did! You're always mean Sacred!" She said in between tears. "What did I ever do to you?"

Uh hello? You just flirted with my boyfriend in front of me. Okay, he was not my real boyfriend but you got my point. She was creating a mountain out of a molehill. It wasn't a big deal. It was just four keys. She wouldn't die alright.

"You annoy me. End of discussion," I said, not bothering to sugarcoat my sharp words. The others felt the growing tension. My hostility towards Catherine was evident on my face and I didn't plan on hiding it.

"Guys that's enough. People are starting to watch us. Let's talk about this some other time," Ally suggested.

"Chase and I will be sharing a room," Catherine announced, smirking at my direction. Clearly, this girl wanted to get hurt.

"No you're not. Chase will not share a room with anyone," I told her, then looked at him. "Isn't that right Chase? I believe my sister would be pleased to know you're not using your freedom in the wrong way."