Chapter 3: Deafening Silence

CHAPTER 3: DEAFENING SILENCE

They said death was inevitable. 

No matter what we did or how hard we tried, we could never escape the fact that one day we needed to go to the other side. If death embraced me today, where would I go after?

Would it be a better place? Would Heaven accept someone like me? What would heaven look like?

My eyes opened and my vision was filled with an ocean of whiteness and calm atmosphere. The questions that I was afraid to voice out came to my mind in a second: Was I dead? Was I in heaven?

There was a loud moan to my right. My head followed the sound and found my sister sleeping on a couch, her mouth widely opened.

Nope. Definitely not in heaven.

I struggled to sit up and felt a headache right away. The world spun and dark spots blocked my sight. I had to blink so many times to see clearly. Tubes were attached to my arms and hands and the realization started to sink in: I was in the hospital.

Why was I here?

My throat was so dry I found it hard to speak. I didn’t know where I got all the strength to stand up. I really needed to go to the restroom and I was so thirsty I could drink a dozen drums of water. I pulled out all the unwanted tubes from my body and walked slowly, my knees shaking. I could do this, only a few steps more. Then I tumbled down.

Or so I thought.

Strong arms caught me. I didn’t need to guess who owned them. Chase helped me up and carried me in his arms. His face was stoic, revealing no emotion. I had no idea if he’s mad or annoyed or whatever. He put me down in front of the toilet without saying a word.

After I had relieved myself, which was so difficult by the way, I went out and saw Chase leaning against the wall. He picked me up again and put me back on the bed. He handed me a glass of water and some tissue paper.

“Chase,” I said, my voice was scratchy. He didn’t even bother to respond. Instead he went out, leaving me behind. What’s the matter with him? Did I do something wrong? Did I stink?

“SACRED!” my sister screamed, jumping at me. “Ohmygosh you’re awake! What do you want? Do you want to eat something? Are you alright? How’s your head? I’m going to call dad!”

“For the love of all things calm and peaceful will you please shut up,” I said, my throat in pain.

She hugged me tightly and I was starting to get irritated. “Sac, I was so scared I thought you wouldn’t wake up. I thought you’d leave me.”

“What? What are you talking about? And why am I here again?” I asked, completely unaware of what’s going on.

She stepped back and gaped at me. “You’re not serious, are you?”

I glared at her.

“You don’t remember? Ohmygosh do you have amnesia? Do you remember me? I’m going to call the nurse,” Serene said as she turned toward the door. I grabbed her hand.

“Don’t be so overly dramatic. I’m fine. I don’t have amnesia. Calm down and tell me what happened.”

“Okay. You’re sure?” she asked and I nodded. “Your friends got me before we switch back remember? They thought I was you. You told me you’d get me out of there and then… you fell on the table in the student council room. You fell from the room above. There was blood everywhere and I was so scared I thought you’re going to die.”