Chapter 3

Three

I toss and turn. I’m back in my room in my bed and I look up at my alarm clock 7:45am. Great, I have school. I think about the dream I had of Patrick. It seemed so real. “Alice Dear, Come for Breakfast” My Mom yells from the kitchen. Patrick was not real. He is now the boy or angel of my dreams. I begin to wonder if it was really a dream, I walk to the kitchen I smell eggs pancakes and bacon, my stomach growls, had I not eaten berries in the forest? My head begins to pound as I process all this. I walk into the kitchen and there sits Patrick. As if he lived here his whole life, my mother says “Good morning sleeping beauty,’ with a smile ‘why we have been talking about you.” What’s going on I wonder. Why this happening, my mother smiles, but her eyes is turn red. “What’s wrong dear,’? She looks at me ‘Are you afraid?” then she drops the pan and lunges for me, “ALICE, ALICE WAKE UP!!” I open my eyes, and there above me is Patrick. I grab him and I hug him, I explain my dream and he smiles “Oh Alice, that wasn’t a dream.” He grins, ‘it was certainly a nightmare.” I punch his arm “Don’t be scaring me like that” I whisper with my head down, “it was so scary” he lifts my chin up, “I know, I can feel how frightened you are, but Alice,’ he kisses my forehead “I wouldn’t let anything hurt you.” I smile. I start to think about how much I like him, how impossible it is for me to like him. Is it possible for someone like me to end up with a creature like him? “What are you thinking about?” he asks kind of worried. “Oh nothing, so tell me how far do we have?” I say trying to change the subject. “About a mile and a half,” he says quickly but doesn’t take his eyes off mine. We begin walking again, through all the trees and bushes; I fell a few times and tried to make a joke. He didn’t find it funny. As were walking he begins to be silent.  “So what were you thinking about earlier?”  He says seriously. I tripped not paying attention to where I was walking, because I didn’t want to answer that question. “Drop it.” I fired back, as I stand up and dust my jeans off. “It has to do with me Alice, I can feel it. So tell me.” He says while grabbing my hand. So soft, and warm, I love his body, his smell, his voice, his everything. But I cannot show it or I will end up telling him what I was thinking about, so instead I pull my hand away. He looks at me hurt “I should’ve known. You are human. You’re a lot different than me.” He says quietly. “OH so what is that supposed to mean!” I turn around and look at him. “Don’t be upset Alice. It’s just,” I interrupt “it’s just what Patrick!” he grabs my hand, this time I don’t pull away. “It’s just I like you. And I know you like me too. But my like is different than yours. You see Alice,” he pauses “I’ve been around for about fifty-seven years; I don’t age because I died at 23 so I stay 23, until God decides to throw me in hell, and I become nothing. But I felt this way before I died, with a girl much like you. And well Alice, don’t get all freaked out, but I feel a bond between us, much stronger then you feel. It’s like a magnet and a paperclip in your hands, as your bring them together they get closer and closer. That’s how I feel.” He says quietly. “So when I know you’re thinking and your face looks worried, well I begin to worry especially when I know you’re thinking of something to have to do with me. So why don’t you tell me.” I take a second and think. What if HE gets freaked out on what I was thinking of? All this time he is keeping eye contact with me, squeezing my hand. “Well Patrick, I was thinking, just….how could someone like me, so unknown in the shadows ,awkward,  fat, and human, be with something like you, so beautiful, confident, unique and not human.” He laughs a little, “That’s what you’re worried of? Alice I had thought you stopped liking me,” he kisses my cheek, well that’s an upgrade from my forehead. “But your right it is abnormal for someone like me to be with a human. However we could make it work, if you want it to work that is.”  He looks me in the eye.  Um hello of course I want to work, but he is so gorgeous compared to me. “Patrick, of course I want it to work,’ I say with a big smile ‘but look at you, and then look at me.” I look down; he bends his head down to reach mine. “Alice you are beautiful, unique, and in my eyes, you cannot be in shadows, because you’re the sunlight.”  And finally after I waited long enough, He leans down and kisses me. His lips were as soft as I imagined them. He tasted of blackberries and mint, and it took my breath away. Kissing him was something I couldn’t get enough of. I wanted to stay there forever. It was as if were we attached and couldn’t let go of each other until finally I backed away. I needed air. He looked at me shocked as I was about the way it had felt. We both smiled and started walking holding hands. “We’re almost there’ he whispers in my ear. “Are you excited?”  Excited more like nervous, I think to myself. “Actually I’m excited to be warm,” I say with a smile. “It’s too damn cold and dark in this forest.”  He hugs me as I walk in front of him. His hands on around my waste, he is something different. He is not like most guys you would think of. I mean yes of course I have had boyfriends before, but nothing compared to this. Although he isn’t my boyfriend. At least we haven’t made that official.  I have never felt like this around anyone. It’s like having butterflies, but not in your stomach…in your heart. A feeling that makes me feel wanted and loved for once. “Do you want to know a secret?” he asks me, “I’m sure you’re going to tell me anyways,” I smile “your right I am, I’m very happy you came through this dark, cold forest,” he says “because then I would have never met you” he smiles and kisses my cheek, “I’m sure I wouldn’t have met you “in a beautiful peaceful path,” he mocks me. I punch his shoulder and grab his hand. Even though this forest is scary, dark and cold, I couldn’t think of a place I would rather be. I start to smell sweetness, almost like a cake or pie baking. I missed my mom’s home cooking, but when I think of her all I can remember seeing is the bloodshot red in her eyes, dying for a prey to pounce on. I shudder at the flashback, and he looks at me, “are you cold love?” why is he so perfect? Why couldn’t there be a guy who was human and I meet like a normal person, how did I get lucky with such an angel? I stare at his lips, and he can tell I want to kiss him, he leans down and as my body gets nervous full of butterflies, he pulls away. Teasing? “Alice wait,” he says, what could it be? “What is it?” I say under my breath. “Hush love,” I start to take in deep breaths for the fear of an anxiety attack. He takes off running, faster than a cheetah, so quick I just saw the flash of him. Doing that made me wonder of the books Like Twilight and Harry Potter. What if everything does exist? I mean if fallen angels exist, who’s to say vampires, werewolves and wizards are make believe? Patrick might know he is like my Jacob and Edward together, so beautiful so indescribable, yet sweet and nice. But can get angry and turn into something I’ve never seen, I smirk thinking of “Jacob” I sit on the floor wondering if he is okay, where he went, and hope he would be back soon. I lean against a tree and my mind wonders off.