AUGUST 31, 2010

August 31, 2010
Error, please reload the page.

When she woke up that morning Emma felt so tired. She'd been up all night but she was sure that if she'd gotten at least three hours of sleep she'd be ready to start her day at her usual time but that was not the case.

Emma had been remodeling all weekend. She'd started with the bathroom upstairs. The walls were paneled at the bottom. Emma had painted them a fresher white. Atop she had a turquoise color, very vibrant and loud. Emma had been watching the home design channel and come across a remodeled home with orange and turquoise in a room together and it looked so good Emma adopted the look for her own. She had an orange bath rug. Orange and white sequence towels were on the rails over white towels. She had a clear shower curtain. Black and white pictures of the beach and sand and palm trees adorned the walls along with an orange clock Emma managed to find in a Big Lots store when she was extreme couponing one weekend. She was so proud of her end product. The tub was old like hers, clawfoot with a shower hanging above it. The sink was old as well and there was a giant metal heater in the corner underneath a window but vintage bathrooms, according to the guy at the Ikea where she bought a wicker laundry basket and a wicker toilet shelf., were becoming all the rage.

The room next to the bathroom, one of the bedrooms, got a new mattress. The mattress warehouse in Decab County had a blowout sell since they were closing down and Emma bought three mattresses, a full and two twins for seven hundred dollars. The twins went in the same room, a large room that was surely a nursery when this was a plantation house. And when Emma first moved in, after her grandma passed, she couldn't bring herself to sleep in the woman's old room so she'd bought a mattress and slept across the hall. But now she had no aversion to the room.

The nursery was paneled like the bathroom so Emma painted the same stark white color over the bottom of the room. For the top she'd bought a pint for each room she'd been painting. This room was beige, very bright like the color of sand atop the paneling. There were two large windows showing nothing but trees on the side of the house. Emma had put pansy purple in certain places in the room, just to bring a special 'pop' to the mundane beige walls. There were purple ruffled curtains and purple comforters. On the nightstand between the two beds there was a pansy purple vase.

Her own room hadn't undergone any changes. She didn't want to change her white space. She hadn't realized that it was such a white space until Trey'd walked in with his dark gray shirt and black slacks on one previous evening...

Suspenders...

Mmm.

He'd been great that night. They'd gone at it like dogs for hours.

She shook all that away, knowing it should be the last thing on her mind.

Emma got up and showered hastily because she'd hit the snooze button twice, taking twenty minutes away from her usual assembly.

Out of the shower, hair dry and piled atop her head with a clear clip she'd found in the back of her vanity drawer, Emma wrapped herself in a towel and went into her closet.

"Meow," Gypsy said from atop her dresser in the back of her closet.

She yawned. "Morning Gypsy."

He blinked solemnly and offered her a smooth, even purr while she stroked behind his ears. He didn't like the smell of toothpaste on her breath in the morning so she turned her face away to yawn again. He was such a finicky little creature. His aqua eyes blinked again.

She chose a yellow dress. It was mostly spandex material, tight but just below her knees and sleeved to her elbows. The square neckline was very tasteful and left no real space for inappropriate cleavage. She grabbed a brown leather waist belt and some four inch Jessica Simpson 'Birdy' sandals. The color was more crayon brown than dark brown itself and the belt was another designer all together. But the brown leathers were a perfect match and she was beginning to love Jessica Simpsons sandals... She was one of her favorite designers when it came to shoes, in fact.