Chapter 18

"Are you doing your homework?" A voice appeared behind me on the couch, bringing me back from my history reading and reminding me that I wasn't alone or at home.

"Ye-" I stuttered, "just a little history reading y'know"

Grace kinked an eyebrow, "I know you better than you think, Parker, you don't take history this year"

Shit.

"I'm still sad about that, who knew Glen Ville would have so little history courses to pick from?! I already took all of them before senior year." I complained, trying to change the focus away from the fact that I, in fact, was not doing homework.

"Yes, I know, sucks to be you, princess," Grace rolled her eyes, "McKenzie says you have math homework"

"That son of a-poodle" I stopped myself when Grace threatened to pinch me, "You see, Grace, math homework has always been option in that class, plus, tomorrow is Sunday"

"Yes, but I also know your math grade is an A- and you just need that extra credit to stay in the A range."

"Jesus, Grace," I said in annoyance as I closed my history reading and reached for my math book.

"That's better, now get it done so we can go to sleep," She said.

"W-we..?" I said. I could hear my heartbeat, was I going to share a bed with Grace?

"Yeah, I'm not sleeping until you're done," She said, "Oh and I put your stuff in my mom's room already"

I didn't know whether to feel relieved or sad that I wasn't sharing a room with Grace, "Oh, right, thanks"

I woke up in a car, which is definitely not where I slept. Someone, dad, was talking to me as he drove down the road at full speed.

"So, Kara, I'm gonna need you to grow up a little, alright," Dad said.

"James, come on, give Kara a break" Mom lightly slapped dad's shoulder.

This was the last conversation dad and I had before we went to the mall.

"Dad," I said, "Dad I don't want to go to the mall anymore"

"Kara, all I'm saying is you're going to be a senior soon and I'll support whatever you choose, but you need to start considering your colleges"

I was ignored.

"Dad!" I tried again, this time shouting, "I don't want to go to the mall anymore, let's go home!"

"She already knows where she wants to go, James" Mom said, it was as if I wasn't even there.

"Guys," I shouted, as the red truck approached us, "Guys! Come on we have to go back home!"

"Wanting to get out of here and wanting to go to NYU is two different thing" My dad continued to drive like the red truck was just part of my imagination.

"No!!!!!" I couldn't do a thing.

It was all dark.

"Parker" I heard a calming voice, "Kara Parker"

I opened my eyes, still shaking, "Grace?"

She looked at me with concern, "You're okay, I'm right here"

"I-" I said, "I couldn't save him"

"Hey, there was nothing you could've done, okay?" Grace held me, "Now, go back to sleep, I'll be here with you"