Chapter 12

Isabelle and I have been best friends since we were in middle school. Nothing ever came between us. There was definitely no attraction either, I was gay and until a few days ago, she was pretty straight herself. So when I woke up after partying all night, naked and alone in my room when i was supposed to be sleeping next to Isabelle, the first thing I thought was: do I stripe in my sleep?

It's never happened before so it wasn't very likely. I then thought I should at least put on a shirt first. So I sat up and turned towards my closet, which was when I touched the nightstand and felt a piece of paper. 'Sorry' it wrote. I knew then something must have happened,

I thought about talking to Isabelle and asking her, but if i had to list out the top two things I hated, it would be confrontation and the topic of anything sexual. So as the great person I am, I just pretended like it never happened. Well until school which was in half an hour I guess.

I then realised I was going to be late for school. I quickly showered and put on some shorts and a t-shirt. By the time I got to school homeroom had ended. I was just in time for biology with Grace and Isabelle. When I walked in Isabelle was already in her seat, and Grace looked up.

"Kara, can we talk outside?" Grace said in a formal tone, so it sounded like she wanted to know why I was late.

I nodded and followed her. I turned and glanced at Isabelle before exiting and we made an awkward eye contact, she turned her head as soon as our eyes met. I took my focus back to Grace. She was wearing a white top with maroon coloured skirt that appropriately sat above her knees. She made it look effortless to pull off.

"Hey," She said, bringing my thoughts back, "Are you okay?" She asked.

"Uh, yeah, just a late night." I explained, "Sorry, I'll be on time next time."

"No, it's alright," She shook her head lightly, "I'm just checking that you're okay."

"Y-yeah I'm okay." I said, remembering that I'd seen her kiss someone yesterday. A day after she kissed me.

"Okay, and about yesterday," She said, "Emma, she's my best friend"

"Wait, what?" I reacted.

"I don't know what you thought you saw but we just hugged" She explained.

"Are you serious?" I said, thinking of all the things I could've avoided if I knew the truth.

"Yes, why are you so surprised?" She smiled.

"Uh, n-nothing, let's go back in" I suggested. She seemed to have more to say, though.

"Wait, Kara, your mom texted me to tell you she's going to be away for a few days, she tried to call and text but you never answered them"

Crap, I knew I was forgetting something, I just didn't think it was my own mother. No wonder I didn't see her this morning. Hell, maybe she wasn't even home last night. Well, I guess it's a good thing she didn't hear anything.

"Oh, okay, cool" I said to Grace.

"She asked me to have dinner with you, I said yes" for one reason or another, Grace smirked, "I'll meet you after school"

And there was no disagreeing allowed. Grace had her way of getting me to agree with her, maybe because she says everything with such confidence, I wonder where she gets her confidence from. I really need some of that, "Okay"

The thought of having dinner with Grace, again, freaked me out a little. I mean, the last time she kissed me. Although, I did like the idea of spending more time with her. I felt stressless around her, even when I'm worried about my mom or school work or anything. As we were about to walk back in, Grace turned around and said, "Bring a jacket or something to school, it's getting cold."

Which reminded me, it was already nearly half way through September and my birthday, October first, was in two weeks. This was my first birthday at home, usually I wasn't so excited about birthdays. Back in boarding school it was just mini dorm party. I guess this year was different. It was my 18th birthday and I could not wait to be legally an adult. It would mean that Grace and I could actually be togethe-wait, is this me telling myself that I liked Grace?

I walked back in the class room and I could feel Isabelle stare at me while I sat back down in my seat. I hated this. I didn't know what to say or do. Usually Isabelle and I talked during discussions or review sessions, but today we didn't talk at all. When everyone else was discussing the questions, i just stared at the board.

Thankfully class ended soon enough, I walked out as soon as class ended and made my way to English in the main building. Mr.Carson made us discuss about our homework readings, we were reading Hamlet. He told us there would be a quiz on friday, I didn't look forward to it.

Next was lunch, I still sat with Isabelle, Charlie and Mia, but it was extremely awkward. I was talking to Charlie the whole time while Mia talked to Isabelle. They knew something was up but didn't want to ask, I guess. I walked into Ms.Wild's class alone, Charlie needed to do something, I wasn't listening. I was first in the class, which gave Ms.Wild time to talk to me, not that she had to.

"So, how close are you and Grace?" Ms.Wild asked as soon as I sat down.

I wasn't really sure how to treat Ms.Wild. One on hand she's my teacher, on the other she's Grace's "friend." I say "friend" because according to Grace they are friends.

"Why don't you ask Grace? Ms.Wild" I replied.

"Oh come on, I said to call me McKenzie" She said, "Plus, I did ask her"

I raised my eye brow, "Oh, why ask me again then?"

"Because," She put her hand on my shoulder, "I know you like her"

Okay now how did this happen. I wasn't very obvious, or was I?

"I-I..I don't know what you are talking about" I panicked.

"Oh come on, I know I'm a little less cool than Grace but I won't tell anyone" She said.

"H-how do you know?" I asked, I wasn't even sure myself.

"I wish I can say I see it in your eyes and be all poet-y but thats bullshit," She said, "but you do act differently when I talk about her"