Chapter 4

"So, Grace, why did you return so soon?" My mom asked at the dinner table. It was the same question I'd wanted to ask, but couldn't bring myself to do so because I was still in shock of Grace's casual coming out.

"Well apparently there was this yearly Glen Ville teacher conference thing that I didn't know about," Grace took a sip of water, "for new teachers to get to know the area and stuff."

"That's a bummer, isn't it Kara?" My mom very clearly saw I wasn't focused on the conversation.

"Yeah well, teachers always torture us so it's sort of what they deserve." I joked.

"Trust me, I'll torture you first," Grace said. "Don't forget, I can fail you."

"Trust me, it's not hard to fail me in Biology." Oh if only she knew how bad I was at Science.

Everyone laughed. Then I got a text from Isabelle.

Isabelle: So I was thinking of going to Hunt on Friday, ladies night.

Hunt was the gay club in town. Isabelle had her way of sneaking in, she knows the guard or owner or something like that. Honestly, she probably seduced them. I've been there a few times. Isabelle wasn't gay, but it was the only club she could get us into. I had no complaints.

Kara: Sure.

"Kara did you like Grace's present for you?" Susan asked.

Present?

"Uhm..She didn-"

"I haven't technically told her about the present yet, Mom." Grace cut me off before I could ask about it.

"Oh oops, Kara pretend like you didn't hear me, please." Susan smiled.

"Too late, mom," Grace said. "Kara, come upstairs with me."

"Okay," I said as I followed her, she acted as if I was the guest, I found it funny.

I watched from behind as Grace walked upstairs towards my room. Four summers ago she was at least a few centimeters taller than me, now I'm taller. I felt accomplished, to say the least.

Grace turned and looked at me before opening the door of my room, "Sorry for coming into your room without permission, but I wanted it to be a surprise."

"It's fine, there's not much to look at anyway." She smiled in return and opened the door. As we walked in I saw something unfamiliar on my desk. It was a light blue beanie. I figured that was the present Susan was talking about. I guessed right. Grace walked over to my desk and took the beanie.

"It's still hot but I figured you'll need it once it gets colder."

"Thanks, Grace, I really like it." I smiled.

"You're welcome." She smiled back at me.

"Is this what it was for?" I asked, referring to the call.

"Hmm?"

"The call. Red or blue?" I explained.

"Oh... Yeah, I wasn't sure which one you'd prefer." She said, "Now I know, blue."

"Wanna sit up here for a bit? I'm sure they won't mind." I suggested. Something got to me, and I didn't know whether it was good or bad but I wanted to stay with Grace for a little longer.

"Sure." She sat down on my bed, "You okay?"

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine," I said.

"I never got the chance to ask how you're doing, you know, after James..." She said.

"I'm doing okay, I try to not think of him too much. I think it's easier to cope that way." I admitted.

"Kara, sometimes it's better to not avoid the feelings. Just because you ignore it doesn't mean it's not there, you know?" Grace looked worried.

"I get it, don't worry Grace, I'm fine," I assured her. "Enough about me, how's your dad doing?"

"He's alright, probably misses my mom a little too much. She's going back to New York after I settle down." Grace said. Her dad, Ryan, had his business set in New York.

"So, you'll be alone?" I asked.

"For the most part, yes. But I have Emma and Kate and," She smirked. "I lost the bet, so, we're friends, right?"

I felt my face getting hotter and hotter, "Yeah, yeah we are."

"Good, then I have you too."

I smiled back, for sure looking like an idiot.

"Let's go down, it's getting late." Grace suggested.

"Sure."

Soon enough Friday came and Isabelle came over to pick me up to go hunting. I quickly put on a tank top and skinny jeans, rushing downstairs to great Isabelle.

"Ready?" Isabelle was in the car with Charlie and Mia. It was clear that Isabelle hadn't given up on playing matchmaker between Charlie and me.

"Yep," I said as I got in the car, "Hey Mia, hey Charlie."

"Hey Parker," They both said.

On the way to Hunt, Isabelle was telling us about how she went to a frat party the day before and met a guy that, in her words, looked like Chris Evans and sounded like Ariana Grande. Isabelle always gets invited to weird parties, she didn't mind. Her two favorite things were men and alcohol. She continued the story, it wasn't anything I was interested, so I just went along with it while trying to ignore Charlie's attempt at an eye make-out.

"I'll be DD today, I guess," Charlie said before we left the car.

"Aww you're the best Charles," Mia said to her.

"Don't get fooled Mia, she's only doing it for Kara." Isabelle teased. So I looked over to Charlie who was now a full tomato. I chose to ignore the little remarks Isabelle was making and enjoy my time here. After all, we came to have fun.

Pretty soon we got in the club, it was the same as any other. Loud music playing in the background and people-drunk and sober-danced like there was no tomorrow (It was Friday, so technically there was no tomorrow). We walked through the sea of people and were able to get ourselves a table. Charlie, again, offered me a drink and I agreed.

"Here's your drink," Charlie said. Mia and Isabelle were nowhere to be seen, unsurprisingly.

"Thanks," I said as I took the drink from her. She returned it with a shy smile, which, was a lot different than the other night. The alcohol, probably.

"I'm not sure we finished our conversation last time," I decided to start the talking for once, "Do you play soccer too?"

"Yeah, yeah I play." She said, "Striker."

I nodded, understanding why she was so fired up when I told her I played the other night. I guess I enjoyed Charlie's company. She wasn't as wild as Isabelle and didn't intimidate me as much as Grace. I don't even know why Grace intimidates me though, maybe it's just because she's older and really good looking.

"Wanna go dance?" Charlie asked.

I agreed and we headed to the dance floor. Then I saw Grace. She wore a tight crop top with some skinny jeans. She was drunk and dancing with a girl around the same age as her, maybe a little older.

All of a sudden I wasn't in the mood to dance anymore. I didn't know why, but seeing Grace with another girl made me angry. As I stared at her, Charlie noticed my change in mood.

"Hey, you alright?" Charlie asked.

"Y-Yeah," I said.

"Oh shit," Charlie whispered and I was confused, I turned around and saw that she was looking directly towards Grace.

"W-What?" I asked.

"That's Ms. Wild!" She pulled me away from the dance floor and started looking for Isabelle and Mia.

The last thing I saw, was 'Ms.Wild' placing her hands on the back of Grace's head pulling her in.

They kissed.