Chapter 6

Grace: You alright?

I stared at the last text Grace had sent me three weeks ago. It was Friday and Summer break was going to end after the weekend. I'd been avoiding Grace the past three weeks by forcing myself with Charlie and/or Isabelle every day. We'd go watch movies or crash parties and shop in the mall. Anything to keep my mind off Grace. I hated not seeing her, but, I also hated being reminded of The Kiss.

I felt like I was ready, after three weeks, to finally have a normal conversation with Grace. I convinced myself that she was single and old enough to make decisions for herself. This included who she kissed.

Kara: Yes.

Kara: Sorry I haven't been replying.

Within a few minutes I got a reply from Grace.

Grace: That's alright, kids have kid's stuff to do.

Grace: Wanna get sushi?

I frowned at the first text, but I couldn't possibly deny a sushi date. I mean, sushi.

Kara: First of all, I'm not a kid. Second of all, yes, sushi sounds good.

Grace: Whatever you say. Okay, pick me up at Glen Ville High at 4. Thanks.

I wondered why she didn't want to drive, but went with it anyway.

I was sitting downstairs on the couch. I had a while to wait before leaving to pick up Grace so I decided to sit with my mom for a bit. I haven't properly spoken to her since dad died, mainly because I was trying my hardest to avoid it. The TV was on then, but I wasn't paying any attention to it. I wanted to ask my mom how she's been doing, but didn't know where to start.

After a while the news caught my attention. Some gay celebrity was getting married to his long time partner. I sat up, realizing I didn't know how my mother felt about gay people. I'd always assumed that she'd be super supportive because I hadn't really got the chance to spend time with her since middle school but she was always the most supportive person. I stared at my mom, trying to figure out what she was thinking. She let out a loud sigh and spoke, "Kara, do you know this singer?" she asked.

"Uh, no, not really," I said, not understanding why she asked.

"Oh, good," She said. My heart dropped to my stomach. She continued to speak, "Don't let those people be a bad influence to you, Kara."

I nodded as I checked the time. Still an hour until I should be leaving, but I couldn't handle being at home anymore. "Uh, mom, I should go now."

She looked up.

"I'm hanging out with Grace later." I explained.

"That's good." She just smiled. I didn't feel happy, obviously, even though I loved seeing my mother smile as a kid. I liked when she was happy for something I did.

I asked for the car keys and walked out towards the car. It reminded me of dad. I wondered what dad would think about my sexuality. I wondered why I didn't ask or know before today, but then I remembered I was never home long enough until this summer.

Kara: Are you busy?

I texted Grace after wandering around town, I didn't know the way to many places so I couldn't really go anywhere.

Grace: Are you here?

I smiled. She's probably the only person that replies to a question with another question.

Kara: I'll be there pretty soon, I'll wait outside if you're busy.

Grace: I'll be alone anyway, come in, my room is C205.