Chapter 1

"Hello? Yes, mom, I'm right outside the house." I hung up as I stepped out of the cab with my luggage. After three years in boarding school, I was coming home for my senior year of high school. I chose to come home and keep my mom company since my dad passed away two months ago in April. Mom hasn't been coping with it so well.

"Mom? Mom, I need your help with my stuff!" Since I was very obviously occupied with both hands holding on to my luggage I called for help.

"Thanks, Mo...U-Uhm.." The door opened and naturally, I went to greet my mother, except it wasn't my mom. It was a girl. She was a little shorter than me and had blonde hair. She looked young, probably no older than twenty-two.

"Hey Parker, come on in." Needless to say, it was quite awkward.

The girl knew me, which wasn't a surprise considering she was in my house, but I had no clue who she is. I wasn't going to let her know that though, so I had to quickly figure everything out.

Maybe she's a relative or a family friend. Honestly, she could be anyone. But Parker. She called me Parker, so she probably met me at some party when I came home during break. Some drunk dude mistakenly introduced me as Parker when I said my name was Kara Parker. I didn't like making things complicated, so I just went with it.

"Are you gonna come in?" The girl was chuckling. Then I realized I'd been staring into her eyes for a good thirty seconds or so.

"Oh, yeah, yeah, sorry." I quickly walked in and put my luggage down.

"Kara!" My mom walked over and gave me a hug.

"Hey, mom." I smiled at her. She seemed to look a lot better than when I last saw her a month ago, which is good.

"Dinner is almost ready, Susan is in the kitchen with me. You should stay with Grace." My mom said as she walked away.

Susan... Susan and Daniel Lewis! They were my parents' friends from college. They had a daughter, Grace!

Wait. Then that means the girl that opened the door for me wasn't some random twenty two years old and was actually Grace Lewis.

"G-Grace?" I said, she responded by turning her head towards me so I knew it was her. "Why'd you call me Parker?"

"I thought that's the name you go by. I heard people calling you that at the party." She was confused too.

"No... not really... it's complicated I guess, but Parker is fine." I smiled at her. I remembered Grace Lewis, the girl I spent a whole summer with. Then I remembered she was five years older than me and found it odd that she had showed up at a high school party, "Why were you at the party anyway?"

"It was one party, I think two years ago. The host, James Miller, is my friend's younger brother. I didn't realize there was a party until I got there." She explained, "I saw you and was going to say hi, but wasn't sure if it was you because you didn't have your glasses on. I asked a random person. She said you're called Parker."

I nodded, "I only wear glasses in school now."

"Kara, Grace! Come over here we found some pictures." My mom shouted from the kitchen.

Grace walked over and I followed. There were photo albums sprawled out on the table.

"We printed these but never really looked at them together." Susan continued, "They were taken during our trip to Hawaii and when you two were little kids!"

"Wait, I've met you more than once?" I realized there was a lot more I didn't know.

"When I was in first grade we practically lived together, but then we moved to New York. You probably don't remember, you were a baby then." Grace said.

Grace's baby comment made me remember a part of our trip to Hawaii four years ago. "Hey, speaking of baby, remember when you said I was too young to be your friend four years ago?"

"Y-Yes.." She looked nervous, I knew why.

"And you also said...."

"Yes I said I would only be your friend if you grow up and become taller than I am, and that I'll do one thing you want me to, I get it." She cut me off.

"Does that mean we're friends now, and I get to dare you to do something?" I smirked, knowing I've reached the goal I made in the summer of seventh grade.

At the dinner table, Susan and Grace sat across from Mom and I. First Mom and Susan were just talking about their friends and gossiping while Grace and I listened. Susan then asked me how boarding school was so I filled them in. Of course, they didn't need to know about the secret parties I attended or the girlfriends I had.

The conversation sort of ended when Grace stood up to pick up a call. I could tell she was extremely excited about it.

"Mom! I got the job!" Grace came back with a smile on her face. I had remembered her as someone that didn't show much emotion, so this must be pretty big.

"Congratulations, Ms. Lewis, you are officially the Glen Ville High Biology teacher!" Susan announced.

Wait what. "Glen Ville High?" I asked. That's the same high school I'm going to be enrolling in.

"Oh, how did I forget to tell you, Kara, Grace just finished university and is going to be a teacher!" Mom said.

"So... you're going to be the Biology teacher?" I asked again.

"Yes, why?" Grace looked confused.

"Well, your soon-to-be favorite student is right here." I smiled.

"I see you've gained a whole lot of height but no sense of humor at all" She shot back