Chapter 5

They kissed.

I know I shouldn't be feeling all weird and hurt and everything. But I was. Grace was a grown women-very much legal-and can make decisions for herself. Making out with a girl at a club shouldn't be that much of a big deal, right? 

No. I couldn't comprehend what I was feeling. If I knew what being stabbed in the heart and head was like, this would probably be it. I guess I was disappointed. Grace was my dream as a kid. I looked up to her and certainly did not imagine her kissing strangers at a bar. Maybe it wasn't a stranger, though, maybe it was her girlfriend. The thought of that pushed the knifes in a little bit deeper.

"Isabelle!" Charlie shouted and brought me back from my thoughts, "Isabelle! Ms.Wild is here!"

"Oh shit." Isabelle and Mia came running over, "Better not get busted then."

They all nodded as a response.

"Who's Ms.Wild?" I asked, wanting to find out the identity of the girl that just kissed Grace.

"She's the math teacher." Oh.

I excused myself and went to the bathroom. I really had no desire in partying whatsoever after witnessing that scene.

I managed to wash my face before getting a call from the devil herself, Grace.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Parker! Are you asleep?!" She shouted through the phone.

"No, why?"

"Come talk to me! I'm so lonely here!" She shouted again.

"Where are you?" I asked.

"By the bathroom!" She shouted again.

There was no way I would've known where that was if I wasn't at the same club. I rushed out of the bathroom and there she was, leaning against-not next to-the bathroom door. Naturally she fell and ended up on the floor, but I was never going to tell her I caused the bruise.

"Oh, hey Parker!" She shouted in my ear, she was very obviously drunk.

"Who were you with?" Seeing her reminded me of the scene I witnessed less than ten minutes ago, and it wasn't my favourite feeling. I just wanted to get this over with.

"What do you mean, I came with you!" She said proving that that she didn't remember who she was with.

I concluded that I had to take her home. She had another option of course, to go home alone, but as much as remembering her kissing the math teacher was unbearable, I needed to make sure she was safe.

I texted Isabelle to let her know I was going home with Grace and then I took Grace out of the club.

"Grace, Grace, where's your car?" I asked as we exited the club. I had a license but haven't driven since my dad died, in a car accident. I knew I had to because Grace lived far away from the club and I wouldn't be able to carry her the whole way.

Grace pointed at a car and I carried her over.

A while later we arrived at her house. Grace managed to fall asleep during the ride. I knocked on the door and hoped that Susan was awake so she could take over and I can avoid her and remembering The Kiss for the rest of summer.

The door opened after what felt like an eternity.

"Oh Kara, sorry, did Grace drunk call you?" Susan assumed I wasn't in the club for obvious reasons. "She said McKenzie or something was going to bring her home."

"Yeah, it's okay, as long as she's safe." I said as I carried Grace in the house.

I put Grace down in her room and began to make my way out before Susan stopped me.

"Kara? You should probably just stay here for the night, I don't want you going home alone at this time." I wanted to leave as soon as possible before seeing Grace's face further reminded me of The Kiss, but she had a fair point, so I agreed to stay and thanked her for letting me.

I slept until the smell of eggs and bacon woke me. I looked around and remembered I realized where I was. Grace wasn't in the room so I just quickly fixed my hair and walked out. Grace seemed to have heard me when I opened the door because she spoke even before she saw me.

"Are you going to stay for breakfast? My mom is out so it's just us." She turned and made eye contact.

I remembered how less than twelve hours ago I saw my future math teacher practically making out with the girl in front of me. The feeling of being stabbed came back and I couldn't take it.

"Uhh, no thank you, I'm gonna go home now." I said, wanting to dismiss myself.

"Are you sure? It's bacon." Grace smiled.

"I'm sure! A hundred percent! Positive!" I shouted as I ran out of her house, ignoring the fact that she was calling my name.

As I was starting my thirty minute walk home, I checked my phone and saw that Isabelle had messaged me last night.

Isabelle: Have fun ;)

Kara: Ha. Ha.

Then I received a message from Grace.

Grace: You okay?

Kara: Yep

It took everything in me for me to not say 'No I am not okay after seeing you make out with my future math teacher, but thanks for asking.'