Chapter 8

The weekend passed and pretty soon I was standing in the hallway of Glen Ville High School, waiting for Charlie, Isabelle and Mia. It was 8:30 so I had a while until going to my homeroom for attendance. I looked at the class schedule I was given just now.

PARKER, Kara Syden

8:50 AM - 8:55 AM HOMEROOM(LEWIS, Grace E. C205)

9:00 AM - 10:25 AM BIOLOGY II(LEWIS, Grace E. C205)

10:30 AM - 11:55 AM ENGLISH IX(CARSON, David J. A011)

12:00 PM - 13:00 PM LUNCH

13:05 PM - 14:30 PM MATH IX(WILD, McKenzie A. C111)

14:35 PM - 16:00 PM FREE PERIOD

Great. So I had Grace for Biology and Homeroom. I also had a bonus of Ms.Wild for Math as expected. Hopefully she'll stop with the questions once she sees I'm her student. I've heard about Mr.Carson from Isabelle, just a pretty average teacher.

I wish I could take another history class, but I had enough credits for social studies.

"Parker?" I heard a familiar voice from behind, it was Charlie, "Hey, you look good in glasses"

"Oh, hey Charlie." I turned and smiled at her, "Thanks"

"You got your schedule?" She nodded at my schedule, asking to see it.

"Yeah" I gave her the sheet.

"Looks like we have homeroom and Math together." Charlie said, "Come on, we won't wait for Issa and Mia, they're always late."

"Okay" I said as I followed her to Grace's room. I felt anxious as I walked with Charlie, I didn't know how I was supposed to act around Grace in school.

"I wonder what Ms.Lewis is like, she's new" Charlie said.

"Gra-Ms.Lewis? She's cool" I said.

"You know her?" Charlie asked.

"Yeah, she's a family friend" I explained.

"Isn't that awkward" Charlie joked.

"I bet it will be"

Pretty soon we arrived outside Grace's room, I took a deep breath and walked in after Charlie. Grace was sitting at her desk, talking to someone else. It's a scene I'll have to get used to.

"Hi Ms.Lewis" Charlie said, I followed, knowing that it'll be more awkward if I didn't say anything.

Grace looked up and was prepared to greet us before she saw me. She paused but quickly responded with a "Good morning"

It was the first day so rather than the usual five minutes for homeroom, they gave us an hour. To "get to know each other."

"Alright guy, I'm Ms.Lewis and I'll be your homeroom teacher this year. I teach biology for juniors and seniors so some of you might have me for biology as well." Grace introduced herself, "Any questions?"

"How old are you?" Some dude, who I later learn is called Sam, asked.

To which Grace replied with, "Too old," I wanted to disagree.

Then Grace started taking attendance. It was all fine until she read "Charlie White" and gave me a weird look. After attendance she asked if we were actually interested to play the introduction games we were supposed to do, we all said no so she decided to give us free time until first block started.

I, of course, was in no rush since I had first block with Grace anyway. The bell rang and people started rushing out. Charlie told me she'd wait outside my English class to bring me to lunch, I agreed and thanked her.

Isabelle was in this class too. She greeted Grace with shock as I expected. I laughed as she sat next to me and hit me on the shoulder.

"I can't believe you didn't tell me this!"

"Well, surprise!"

"Oh hey Parker hey Isabelle!" I heard a voice call, I looked up and it was Tyson, the guy that introduced me as Parker to everyone else.

"Hey Tyson" I smiled and he gave me a high five.

"You moved here?" He asked.

"Yeah, I just moved back" I explained.

"That's cool, man, you can crash more parties now" He said, "Hey you two should come to my party next week."

"We'll be there," Isabelle said, "right, Kara?"

"Uh, sure" I said, the class was quiet now, I sat in my second row seat with Tyson and Isabelle next to me as Grace took attendance.

"I know biology is the the most interesting subject for a lot of you," Grace paused and looked at me, she smirked and I couldn't help but blush, "hopefully I'll change that"

Someone put their hand up, "yes?" Grace said as she struggled to recall her name.

"It's Quinn" She reminded her.

"right, Quinn, you have a question?" Grace said.

"I know you're new too, Ms.Lewis, but," She turned to look at me, "Can the new kid introduced herself too?"

I was surprised, sure, only some people remember me from parties, but I wasn't expecting a grand introduction. I looked at Isabelle and she was trying her hardest not to laugh out loud.

"I don't see why not, Kara?" Grace said, I could tell she felt pretty awkward.

"Uh," I stood up, "I'm Kara Parker, but most people from this school knows me as Parker. I just moved back from Virginia."

As I sat back down I looked at Quinn, she wink at me. Isabelle hit me on the shoulder again and mouthed, 'she gay'. Well, that explains a lot.

Class ended with awkwardness between Grace and I. I'm sure we'll laugh about this later. Mr.Carson's English class was boring but bearable. I sat next to this kid named Jason. I learned that we were gonna be reading a few shakespearean plays this year, none of them I liked, though. My favourites were Twelfth Night and Julius Caesar. I figured that Mr.Carson was a huge Shakespeare nerd and wouldn't stop talking about his favourite, Macbeth.

Then I had math with Ms.Wild, the look on her face when she saw me was hilarious. I wanted to take a picture but couldn't. Her class was pretty awkward too I guess. After all, I did witness her trying to ask out Grace.

I had free period after math so I decided to just go home. Seniorities.