My Brothers Bestfriend 39

I throw my door shut and head to the back door to grab both mine and Stefanie's backpacks.

I close the door slightly too hard, and if I wasn't so worked up I'd probably hit myself for treating my car like that.

I wait for Stefanie to exit the car before locking it. I outstretch my arm, holding my hand open.

Stefanie grins at me before placing her hand in mine, and despite my bad mood I find myself unable to not return the smile. "How was school, anyway?" I ask her as I play with her fingers and lead us towards my front door.

"Pretty boring without Kasey, actually," She shrugs.

I scoff loudly as we reach the front door. "Thanks for reminding me,"

"It's not that big a deal that they skipped, Jacob," Stef rolls her eyes. "You know they're together, yeah?" She glances sideways at me and raises her eyebrows. "Like, they're properly together. They're dating. They're boyfriend and girlfriend,"

"Yes," I match her eye roll. "Thanks again for reminding me,"

"You're being an overprotective cock," She shrugs. "Kasey is old enough to date whoever the hell she wants to, whenever she wants,"

"She isn't even eighteen yet," Jacob snaps.

"And neither am I," Stefanie snaps back at me and I narrow my eyes at her. "Your big scary face doesn't intimidate me, Jacob," She chuckles as she leads the way into the house. "You're being an unreasonable sook,"

I take a deep breath and let it out slowly as I close the front door. "I am not being unreasonable," I can't stop myself from arguing. "It would have been appreciated if they had at least let us know,"

"Okay, sure," She says.

"I mean honestly," I shake my head. "Weren't you worried about Kasey?"

"No," She snorts. "She's a big girl, Jake, when she needs me she lets me know,"

"Well you didn't hear from her all day today," I mutter.

"Yeah, because she didn't need me," Stefanie snaps again. "Seriously you're being pathetic and I'm done talking about this with you now,"

I watch her as she storms off and heaps upstairs, and I'm confused as to what the hell just happened.

"Stef, wait," I call out, groaning as I jog to catch her on the upstairs landing. I grab her hand and spin her to face me, biting my lip. "Sorry," I mutter.

"Sorry?" She raises her eyebrows. "You don't have to apologise to me," She shakes her head. "I don't even think you understand what I'm saying, so I don't know what you think you're apologising for,"

I stare at her, even more fucking confused. Her eyes are narrowed and her lips are turned down in a frown. "You're angry at me," I accuse.

"I am not," She sighs. "I'm just frustrated as hell,"

"Because they ditched school?" I ask almost hopefully.

"No!" She scoffs. "Because you're overreacting about them wagging and you're not even trying to understand what I'm saying,"

"I am too," I argue halfheartedly.

"You're not," She says simply. "If I rang you tomorrow morning and told you I wasn't going to school because I wanted to go shopping with my mum, what would you say?"

I blink at her and shake my head slowly. "I don't know?"

She rolls her eyes. "What would you say?"