Chapter 17: Childcare 101

Third person pov

"Make a list." Pein slapped a piece of paper and a pen down in front of Hollow, causing the girl to jump. All the members, still sitting around that very same table, watching silently. "Write down everything you want. We'll get it."

"Are you sure that's how you take care of a child?" Kisame questioned, scratching the top of his head. Hidan scoffed at him as though he were an idiot. 

"Duh, if she has everything she wants, then she's gonna be happy as fuck, you idiot." He explained vulgarly. Hollow offered a nervous and shy smile that almost seemed to shake. 

"Er... I-I'm fine..." She insisted.

"Write something down. Now." Pein's glare was enough to make Hollow pick up the pen. Hand trembling, she sat up taller in attempts to get a better view of the paper. She stared at it. 

"Come on, brat. We don't have all fucking day." Hidan urged, earning him a two sharp glares from Pein and Konan, who waited patiently. 

"Her mind isn't fully developed. It takes her a while to think of things." Pein said flippantly. 

"And she's been in a literal tube all her life, un." Deidara said. "She may not know what she wants, un."

Hollow hunched over her paper, and shakily, began to write just as she'd been taught. She'd never really wrote anything, but she'd practiced a lot in dream-like sequences, so it didn't take her to long to get a hang of it. She was sure her grammar could use some... work, but that wasn't the point. She was just making a list. That's all.

She put a few bullet points, as to satisfy Pein. She knew he wouldn't settle for just one, so she made up some stuff, taking advice from the ghosts around her. Rin had disappeared ten or so minutes ago, still ranting, still angry, and still clearly upset. She growled and snarled and stomped at nothing when she realized she couldn't be heard, turning to sulk in the corner shortly after.

"H-Here." Hollow gently slid the paper and pen towards Pein, jolting when he reached for it, and their hand's brushed. She was honestly expecting some sort of electric shock, or something painful, but nothing happened. It was just cold. Pein's eyes scanned the list.

Hollow's list of things she wants

-Joy

-A light bulb

-A change of clothes maybe. If not it's okay, I don't need them. This shirt is very nice.

-Some food, if you have some to spare. It's okay if you don't. I heard humans can go a long time without food, so it's okay.

-Some new bandages for my feet, please. I mean, if you have any to spare, any at all. My feet have been bleeding for some time now and my arms feel all heavy and... sorry.

Pein's head snapped up. "Hidan, put her on the table, now." Pein's voice left no room for argument. Pein shoved the list at Konan. "Get her a bedroom with a lamp in it. And something... cheerful. Something that would bring joy to a child. Get her some food, water and a change of clothing as well." He ordered. Konan gave a nod, seemingly sinking away into the shadows.

Hidan set Hollow on the table. Her bandages made a wet, sponge-like sound as they hit the table. The girl winced slightly, her eyes full of nervousness and fear. "S-Sorry, I got bl-blood on your table..." She trailed off, looking at her lap awkwardly. Hidan scoffed.

"Your feet are bleeding like... fuck, like hell or something, I don't know any badass similes. Anyway, your feet are... they're fucking bleeding!" Hidan threw his hands up, frustrated at his lack of simile-making abilities. 

"Why didn't you say something?" Itachi stood up. Hollow shrunk back. 

"Tch, have you met the brat?" Sasori scoffed. "She wouldn't say a word even if her arm'd come off."

"I think Sasori's right, un. She's rather... shy?" Deidara shrugged. Kisame nodded in agreement, as Hollow shrunk into herself as much as she could. Fingering the ratty end of the T-shirt hanging off her thin figure like it was a curtain. 

"S-Sorry." Hollow all but whispered. Almost everyone in the room groaned, even Kakuzu. Pein just let out a silent, heavy sigh.