Chapter 2: Found

Third person pov

Feet bloody and full of glass, Hollow stumbled through the woods shakily. While tired, the girl still felt panicked. She had the overwhelming urge to just run, even if she wasn't in any immediate danger. She supposed she was feeling the emotion fear. The more the twigs and branches around her scraped at her skin, the more frantic she became. She felt trapped in this forest: like it was never going to end. It was terrifying. Her ankle was pounding, but she could feel Hikari frantically trying to heal it. Rocks were digging into her already glass-filled feet, as were twigs.

"Hollow, slow down and take a deep breath, dear! Everything is okay." Hikari soothed. 

'B-But-' Hollow slowed to a quick, jerky walk. 

"Nobody is chasing you. Nobody is after you. Nobody is trying to hurt you. Everything is okay." Hikari assured. 

'Wh-What if that sn-snake m-man comes b-back?! I saw his eyes. T-They-' Hikari cut her off. 

"You're going to be okay. You're going to make it out of this forest, and you're going to live. Okay?" Hikari asked. Hollow took a deep breath, trying to relax. 

'O-Okay.' The girl breathed out.

"What the fuck was that?" Hollow froze at the sound of a voice, her heart rate increasing all over again. 

"It came from over there." This voice was much deeper, and much more gravelly. Hollow took a small step back as the two men tromped through the brush towards her, getting closer and closer. Hollow sucked in a breath, holding it unintentionally as they got closer. She was shaking, her eyes wide with fear. Her hands trembled, and she felt cold despite all the sweat pouring down her face.

Hidan burst through the bushes, scythe raised. Kakuzu crashed through right next to him, hands raised and ready to defend if an attacker came at them. Neither of them expected to see a little boy with multi-colored hair standing there, let alone one with bloody feet and a shirt that hung off his body like a curtain. The kid looked terrified. Heartless as he was, Hidan felt a little bit of pity flash through him at the sight. Kakuzu, in all honesty, didn't really care. Although, the bounty hunter was rather curious

"What the fuck?" Hidan, disappointed, lowered his weapon. Hollow took a small step back, her eyes wide. 

"It's a child." Kakuzu sniffed.

"Yeah, I can tell." Hidan scoffed, thrusting a hand at Hollow. The girl let out a squeak, jumping back. She began to shake harder. Who were these men? Were they going to kill her? Hollow, although she didn't know much about this world or who she was, really didn't want to die. She wanted to find out where she came from, and she wanted to survive despite all she'd been through.

"Whoa, he's so fucking jumpy." Hidan seemed slightly amused. 

"It is, isn't it?" Kakuzu grumbled, staring at Hollow with narrowed eyes. 

"Can you talk? What's your naaame?" Hidan asked slowly, as though talking to someone who didn't quite speak his language. Hollow stared with wide eyes. His eyes... the color was quite similar to her own. 

"H-Hollow." She managed to choke out, staring at the pair fearfully. She unfroze, shrinking in their presence.

"Where did you come from?" Kakuzu demanded. 

"T-The tu-tube." Hollow answered shakily. 

"The tube? What the fuck is that?" Hidan asked, turning to Kakuzu. 

"Don't look at me, you idiot." The man hissed in response. Hidan rolled his eyes and turned back towards Hollow, putting his scythe back on his back and crouching down. 

"Look, kid, we aren't going to hurt you unless you do something that provokes us, okay? Just tell us where the hell you came from." Hidan sighed. He had once been a scared child just like this one, so he guessed part of him understood.

"T-The man wi-with the s-snake e-eyes. H-He put me-" Hollow ducked her head. 

"Snake eyes?" Kakuzu questioned. 

"That's what he said." Hidan stood up. 

"One of Orochimaru's old hideouts is not far from here. Perhaps he's an experiment that survived?" Kakuzu peered at the child. Hollow looked up at him with wide, watery eyes, her legs trembling. 

"Whoa, really?!" Hidan gasped loudly. Hollow flinched.

"You're scaring it. It could be useful... let's bring it." Kakuzu said, thinking of all the ways they could profit from the child. If it wasn't of use, surely someone would buy it. With hair like that and such pale, smooth skin, someone was sure to buy it. 

"It's a he, Kakuzu." Hidan scoffed. 

"No matter. Grab it and let's go." Kakuzu's answer made Hidan groan. 

"Alright, alright. But why am I the one carrying the cargo?" Hidan questioned. His partner didn't answer.

"Alright, come on kid." Hidan stepped forward, gaining a little squeak from Hollow. Her tears spilled over, and she wiped desperately at her blue-tinted cheeks. 

"P-Please don't hurt m-me." The raw fear in the kid's eyes made Hidan flinch. Glancing back to make sure Kakuzu wasn't watching, he crouched down. 

"Hey, kid, come the fuck over here, okay? It's gonna be fine. We ain't gonna do any shit to yah." Hidan said in the softest tone he could manage.

"B-But that o-other man... h-he is unkind." Hollow sniffled. 

"Yeah, I know, right?" Hidan offered a joking smile. Hollow smiled a small one back. "Come on, kiddo. We've gotta fucking move it before he comes back and yells at us. Then we'll both be in hot-fucking-water." 

He opened his arms slightly. Hesitantly, very unsure, Hollow approached him. Hidan didn't want to be impatient, so he waited for Hollow. The child was like an abused dog, and he had to gain his trust if he wanted the kid to come quietly.

Hollow slowly entered Hidan's arms, clearly nervous, and clearly unsure. 

"Wrap your arms around." He ordered. Hollow looked at her arms, hesitantly lacing them behind the man's neck. He lifted her up. Hollow hugged him, burying her face in his shoulder and letting herself feel warm. He was a stranger, and probably dangerous, but she felt safe. She felt safe as Hidan leapt through the trees to catch up with is partner, and she felts safe when the pair argued. She was just so tired. So... so tired.

But at least she was okay.