He reached for my hand across the couch, but I moved to cuddle beside him instead. He kissed the top of my head. "I miss us, too. I don't want to be at each other's throats all the time. I love you, and I think if we force ourselves to be alone and away from familiarity we'll click again."

I nodded. "I love you so much for putting up with my new-mom-anxiety and attitude."

He snorted. "I want to put up with every part of you, because you're my lifeline. You, Dulcie, and our little boy." He pointed to where he slept in his bouncer.

"Then let's get away. Let's be husband and wife." I looked up at him and he smiled before pecking my lips.

It was time I learned how to balance both of my roles. I could do this. I would do this, because I wanted my main men to be satisfied.

***

I met my sister for lunch the next day. It'd been hard to peel myself away from Jamie and EJ, but I felt I needed to branch out more if I truly was going to travel without my baby, and then come back to travel with him overseas. Plus girl talk with Emily always helped.

"So where is he taking you?" she asked after we'd placed our order.

"Miami." I wiggled my eyebrows and she laughed.

"You won't be seeing much of it, but still sounds fun."

I blushed. "The beach will look even better upside down from our hotel room."

She raised her water glass to cheers to that.

"I think it'll be good for you," Emily said. "Besides, Mom and Dad have been itching for an EJ sleepover. It's about time you let them have such a simple request."

"I know. I've been selfish. But I don't know what the fuck I'm doing, much less sending him off for someone else to care for."

She nodded. "Can't say I relate. I understand where you're coming from though. I imagine it's hard. You've got to learn how to let go a little bit."

"Absolutely. Poor Jamie is liable to go crazy with my mood swings and excuses. He's been a dream. I owe him."

"A lot of blowjobs will make up for it." She winked.

"He gets his BJs. Mama needs some TLC too. This trip will be good for both our souls."

She chuckled. "You could've played. No sex doesn't mean no fun."

I shook my head. "I've felt gross. I can't explain it, but definitely not in the mood for his face between my legs. I haven't even begun a workout regimen."

"You look incredible, sis. Don't worry about it. Plus your husband hasn't had a hit in months, so he won't care what you look like as long as you give it up."

My sister always knew how to make me laugh with her blunt ridiculousness. "I'm weird, leave me alone."

"You're amazing, shut up."

The waiter interrupted when he set our plates down in front of us. I dug right into my shrimp Alfredo.

"So are you going to be a helicopter mom who calls every hour to check how her baby is doing in the hands of his trained grandparents?"

I rolled my eyes. "No, Jamie will be a great distraction, trust me. He won't let me be a sad bump on a log."

"I think this trip will be super healthy," Emily said. "Have you done anything without EJ since he was born?"

I shrugged. "Not really."

"Have you left the house without him?"

"Only briefly."