Chapter 23--Meet The Saint J's Boys

Logan

The day of the banquet is one of those days where all the staff is working. I mean all the staff. Plus a few people we hire to make sure everything is running smoothly. Along with extra waiters and photographers that help set up before getting ready for the big night. The point is, everyone starts working at sunrise. The rest of the night is mayhem.

The Weirdos are supposedly arriving in the middle of the day, which is why I'm surprised when I hear the doorbell ring. I get up from my bed and look out the window. Several gardeners are running around stringing more lights. Caterers are making their way around the backyard where the tent has been set up. I see a few people carrying some of the Winter Wonderland lights. But through all the chaos, I see a small white car start to drive away.

"Logan," I hear my mom yell up the stairs. I grab a shirt, quickly putting it on before making my way to the staircase. Veronica and Hudson are doing what I was doing—hiding out in their room. Mainly because staying out of everyone's way is the best thing to do. My mom yells again, "Your friend is here."

That doesn't make any sense. The Weirdos aren't supposed to arrive until the party starts. I come into view and walk down the steps to see who's at the door. With my Christmas tree in the middle, my sight is slightly blocked. A wide smile spreads on my face as soon as I see the quirky giant.

Mason Rye-Welborn, one of my best friends from high school. He's the tallest one out of the four of us. The slant kind of tall that makes him look exceptionally scrawny and awkward. His shoulders are tensed up, the leather jacket making him look more like a World War II fanatic than a badass. His glasses are pushed up on his nose, his head hanging down in embarrassment as my mom asks him how he is. One of the staff walks up to him to take away the tuxedo he has on a hanger.

"Mason!" I shout while quickly jogging down the rest of the steps. He looks up from the ground, a smile spreading on his face and relief clear in his eyes.

"Hey," He says in a quiet voice. His hand lifts in a hesitant wave. Mason has never been a big converser. In full honesty, he's the most-timid guy I've ever met. Under his arm is a book...you'll never catch him without a book. Finding him without a book is the equivalent of finding the Loch Ness Monster or Bigfoot.

I walk up towards him and pull him into a hug. He smiles, hugging me back just as tightly. It's been a long time since I've seen him in person. We video chat or talk over the phone, but last time I saw him was at his college graduation. "What are you doing here?" I ask pulling away.

"Your mom invited us," He answers.

"Us?" I ask confused.

"The other guys couldn't make it. But I brought my laptop," Mason's free hand holds onto the strap of his backpack. "I figured we could call them."

"You kids have fun," My mom says as we walk up the stairs. "Lunch will be served soon."

Mason smiles gently as we make it into the hallway towards my bedroom. "I love your mom Lo," Mason manages.

I smirk, "You can't even look her in the eye."

"I can't look anyone in the eye. Have you met me?" I laugh at Mason's comment. He's right though. It took him forever to trust Aaron. Then when he became a part of our group it got a bit better. We thought Mason was becoming more social when in relativity it's just that he trusted us. That's the thing about Mason: He's an antisocial nerd that only opens up to his best friends. I promise you he's not this comfortable around in the outside world.

"Are your parents coming?" I ask closing my door behind me. I pick up a sweatshirt from my bed and toss it into my closet along with my shoes.

Mason takes a seat on my bed, crossing his legs Indian style, and grabbing his laptop from his bag. He hunches over his laptop. I'm not sure how someone so tall can ball up the way he does. "Uh no..." Mason answers clicking away on the keyboard. His eyes narrow and he pushes his glasses up his nose. "They wanted to but figured it would be better to just send me."