Author's Note

Please read 😊

LOW is officially finished. I have to say, writing Low was by far one of my favorite stories to date. I have grown extremely attached to Logan's character and I think one of the reasons it took me four years to finish is because of how much I love him. I didn't want to say goodbye. Please don't forget to read my upcoming stories, as I do hope to make Logan have a cameo (of course 😉).

I really hope you guys all enjoyed the story. I just want to add a small author's note, which I don't often do. Clearly, this story did in fact show signs of depression and anxiety. Both of which I personally have experienced over the years. Regardless, I wanted to quickly explain elements of this story, just in case anyone is reading who might find my words helpful, so here it goes.

Over the years, when I read YA novels featuring themes of mental health problems, I've genuinely found them to be quite depressing, or very unrepresentative of what mental health struggles are truly like. Most authors go down some very dark routes and I don't want young readers—or older readers for that matter—to ever believe that mental health problems such as depression, anxiety, etc. only have one outcome. Because it's not true. There are resources out there to help you. One of the best things I could have ever done was ask for help, which I hope was conveyed in my story.

Despite Lo not believing he needed it, or thinking it wasn't worth his time. Once he accepted help, he got better. Similar to Harper, who originally did not experience the same mental health struggles as Lo but sought help as soon as she began to waver.

This also happened for me personally. I sought help by speaking to family and friends, getting a counselor, then a therapist. I really didn't think I could be "normal" with the extremely high level of anxiety I was facing on a daily basis. Almost everything became a trigger for me. I dropped out of school, I was living at home again, and all the while watching my best friends live life to the fullest. Something, I didn't think I could do anymore. But with time—and more importantly—with help, I got better and I was able to "re-enter" the world with tools that have guided me over the last few years.

"Getting better" is very gradual. There isn't a specific day when you just wake up and suddenly feel like the world is clear again. But one of the first things I did when I got my anxiety under control was publish 3 Stepbrothers. The joy I felt was genuine and wasn't tarnished by feelings of doubt that I had months prior. I felt stronger and I think that many people underestimate the strength that mental health issues can give you if you take the time to overcome them. Anxiety made me feel so weak and virtually worthless, but I look back now and reflect at how much stronger I've become.

My intention with writing Low was not to romanticize depression or anxiety—as unfortunately, many YA authors do. Mental health is not a romantic topic or a character flaw. It is a hurdle and a story of strength and conquering Goliath.

I hope—at the very least—this inspires you, whoever you are, that things really can get better. Do not hesitate to look for resources and to lean on those closest to you. You're stronger than you think you are. And no matter how small you may feel, always remember, that David conquered Goliath.

With much much love, your favorite Animallover,

Sofia