Chapter 21

I awoke in a cold sweat early that morning. I sat up in bed and looked out through the window at the still dark sky. Sighing to myself, I got up and headed down to the training grounds. I was stretching when I heard something creep up behind me. I grabbed a dagger from a table and hid under the table. Two figures crept out into the moonlight, but they were cloaked so I couldn't see their faces properly. 

"Where is she?!" a man's voice hissed.

"She has to be somewhere around here. I just saw her leave her room," said a woman.

"Come on," the man said. I watched them walk away and out of the moonlight. I crept out from under the table and grabbed the woman from behind and held a dagger to her throat. But instead of catching them off guard, they caught me off guard with the man swinging around and getting be from behind. 

"Nice to see our prey has come to us, hasn't it brother?" asked the woman as she took my daggers and tossed one to the free hand of her brother. 

"Saves us the work," the man chuckled. He took the dagger and held it against my throat. I swung my leg forward, building up momentum to kick the man but his sister just threw her dagger at my leg, causing me to yell in pain.

"She's going to be too much trouble like this," sighed the sister as she brought her fist down upon my skull, knocking me out. 

I awoke on the dirty wooden floor of a room, with my hands securely tied. I sat up weakly, trying to gather more of my surroundings when I realized it. This was my old home, specifically the living room. The room where my mother's corpse was found. I looked down at the ground and there they were, the dark red stains that were splattered across the floor. I bit my lip to keep me from screaming but instead I made some kind of cross between a gasp and a whimper. Unfortunately, that was enough to alert the siblings to my presence. 

"How's it going down there?" asked the sister as she opened the door. I looked through the doorway and found the brother to be missing. 

"Who are you?" I asked shakily.

"Aw, it seems like you're scared," cooed the sister as she walked up to me with her hands on her hips. I wasn't able to see her leg reel back through her coat as she kicked me underneath my jaw. She slapped me across the face, so hard I fell over. "Oh gosh, so weak. I didn't know the great Lieutenant Nanami Akiyama could be this fragile," she said with a crooked smile. She squatted down in front of me and lifted up my chin with her index finger. I watched her laugh slightly to herself as she examined my face. "Oh dear, it seems father never told you about us. Oh wait, he's dead!" she cackled.

"What?" I stammered as tears started stream down my face.