Jace sighed and sat on the bed, as if a weight was lifted off his shoulders. Then he turned to me, "What song were you singing?"

I smiled, "La Vie En Rose."

He smiled sadly. "That's why. That was Karly's song. That was actually Karly's Ukulele too. Mom had it especially made for her. I thought it was better to put it to some use though instead of it creating dust in Karly's room. Mom must have heard you singing from the hallway and that's what caused her to rush in, hearing that song... it must have been overwhelming."

Maybe I should refrain from singing that song if it upset people in the castle... If it was Karly's song. I didn't want to cause any problems, or cause anyone to pay attention to me. Wait... who is Karly? She was the same girl Jace screamed at me about my first day here.

I must have said that out loud because Jace exhaled loudly. "Karly was my sister."

"You had a sister? I...I didn't know."

"You would have been too young to remember, but she was the most beautiful princess in the world. She was four years older than me and furiously protective of me and the kingdom. She was a light in the castle, was THE light in the castle, and with her gone, everything just started to fade in a way that was devastating to many."

In a moment of sympathy, I placed my hand over Jace's. He looked shocked but then took the next step and wrapped his fingers through mine. I knew what it was like to lose loved ones. It was still very fresh in my mind.

Jace continued. "Karly had asked for an ukulele after she saw a video of one online. She was only four, but she was so intelligent for her age, so mature, that my mom saw it fit to create the most beautiful and delicate ukulele she could for our princess. She was amazing at playing it too."

He smiled as if in memory of her playing, as if the music was playing in his head. It was nice to see Jace like this, re-living old memories. He seemed happier, easier-going, almost blissful. If only his sister hadn't died, maybe he would still be like this. Although things were good for me here, maybe things would have been better, maybe I wouldn't have even been in this situation.

"When did she...?" I asked trailing off, not wanting to say it, but needing to know.

Jace's smile faltered. "She was only sixteen when she..." He trailed off too. "I would've been a goner too if it hadn't been for her, but like I said, she was furiously protective of me. She would've been turning thirty-two this year, but she would've stopped aging way before that, I just know it. She didn't want the power that comes with age. She wanted to be trusted, she just wanted to be loved."

It was beautiful what Jace was telling me, but it only got me thinking that Karly may have been the key. I started quickly doing the math in my head as Jace stared out the window lost in memories. The war started in 2435, but the unrest started years before, fights and new laws in different kingdoms. It was a slow burn before an all-out war. The unrest had begun just over 10 years prior, and if Karly died 16 years ago, that would be about the time the unrest began. This mistrust between the werewolves and vampires. I began to wonder if Karly's death had something to do with it. It seemed she was important enough to Jace's family that if something bad had happened to her, there would be placed blame, true or not.

I was brought back to reality as Jace said my name.

I looked over at him, "Annabelle, could you do me a favour?" I nodded slowly, unsure of what this favour could be.

"Could you play me La Vie En Rose?" He said, almost shyly.

I smiled, and started to strum, a song that was dear to both of our hearts.

---------

EDITED

Karly (age 16)

Karly (age 16)

oooooo do you think what happened to Karly had something to do with the war? ;)

What do you think of her meeting with the Queen? Not so bad right? We'll be seeing more of her soon, but what do you think the King would say about all this? Will he be informed?

Let me know what you think!! Comment, like, follow!

Also! Fun question, do you play any instruments? I play trombone!

- K