the pain

The wolf got away but not before having me chase him for over an hour. I walk into the pack house in wolf form and straight to my room to shift back. Standing naked as the day I was born I stretch a bit before getting into PJs and plopping down on my bed. Luckily I remembered to go back to where I shifted and grab my cell phone. "10 missed calls and 5 voice messages"I read the words on the screen before realizing that they are all from Devon worried sick that I just never came back.

Where did you go? they say there's no one in the bathroom.and just tell me that you are okay. I don't know why you ditched me but just let me know you are safe. then they got worse. Carly, I'm quite disappointed that you left. I drove all the way to the lake to find you. I thought we were having fun. and then the last one that broke my heart. Maybe we should just not hang out anymore.I sank into my bed crying. I phoned his number immediately but it just ringed and ringed. I phoned again and again but nothing.

The next morning I'm dreading going to school. I walk down the hall and as my mates eyes catch mine I can see the anger before he turned away from me and headed into a class. At lunchtime, Renee talked about the cheerleader thing yesterday and about how she really likes her current boyfriend who I have yet to meet as he is not in our school but he will be visiting in the nearby holiday. She could be telling me that I won the lotto it would not register for me. I'm staring at the popular table where my mate is sitting with two cheerleaders laughing at everything they say.

After school, I wait in the diner for our tutoring session but he never shows up. I call him and text him but no reply at all. I go home and cry my eyes out somewhere during the night I feel Carter get into my bed and hold me while I cry every tear I have in his chest. The next morning I wake up determined to talk to him and I go to school early to wait for him. He gets to school earlier than most people so I know that I can get some time to talk to him.

The moment I smell him down the hall my feet start making a beeline after him and I rush up to him. "Can we talk please?" He looks at me and I can still see the anger in his eyes and it sends shivers down my spine. "If we have to." I did not expect him to sound so cold. "I'm sorry for what happened at the ice cream shop. While in the bathroom I got a call from my mom about a family emergency. I just didn't think for the moment and started running home and then the first time I checked my phone I immediately phoned back. I'm so sorry."

He looked me up and down before taking a long breath as if whatever he was about to say was hard for him to say as well. "Look I get emergencies but I would have still told you. You left me sitting in that shop like a loser. I think its best if we just stop seeing each other." My heart stopped. My mate did not want to see me anymore and I could feel my wolf whimper at the pain that caused. He gave me one last look, a sad smile and then walked away.

My day was spent going to classes but just not caring. I felt numb. On my drive home with Carter, I suddenly started feeling a pain in my stomach and by the time I got home I could curl up in a ball from all the pain. Carter called my mom as he had no idea what to do and after she examined me and made him move me to my bed she looked confused. "This cant be!" she said placing a hand on my head. "You show all the signs of being in Heat and yet you have not found your mate."

Was I in heat? This was going to hurt. Mom went and got some medicine from the pack doctor that would ease the pain before she started grilling me about who my mate was."He is human?" she said looking as if she just tasted poison. "Are you sure?" I nodded. She looked very deep in thought and I knew it was that this did not fit into her plan. This did not make the pack stronger. "We will talk about this more once your heat is over."

From where I was lying I could hear the order being given that all unmated male wolves be moved to sleep in the bottom floor and that none of them come in the top three floors where I was at the very top.

The next four days of my life was me screaming at the top of my lounges until I would pass out. I'd wake up to one of the pack workers bringing me food or cleaning the sweat off my face before I would be back to my own pain. It felt like someone had put something that was burning inside my stomach. Every time I'd pass out I would see Devon's face. His perfect green eyes. Then the exact moment he said goodbye to me would replay and I'd be stuck in this loop until the pain would wake me up again.