Slushy and ice cream

For the first time since I found out Devon was my mate, I go to sleep peacefully as my wolf is happy that we are at least making progress and that I can still even faintly smell his ginger smell on my body. The weekend flies by fast with a cute Sunday morning text thanking me for the dance and Monday morning I head into school excited for the new week and a chance to get to see my mate. Saturday nights dance plays in my head as I walk down the hallway to my locker. Suddenly I am jerked out of my daydream.

The hall in front of me is blocked by three white and gold barbie dolls that most people know as cheerleaders. On an average day, I would make some joke about how they are a pack. an Alpha, the most powerful one who makes all the choices. The Beta, more forcefull then the alpha but only follows as told. Then the warrior just there for support. Sandy, the head cheerleader speaks while looking me up and down.

"Well if it isn't the nerd who forgot her place on the social line? Didn't you know just because your brother is a total stud that it does not mean you can try to climb up the social chain?" she spits at me."Let me explain it to you in terms you will understand. You are like a housemaid in the video game of life and me well I am a princess and my dear Devon well he is a prince charming as royal as they come. So scurry off little worker leave the royals to live happily ever after." Before I could answer I'm covered in a blue slush and ice.

I start to cry and then realize that everyone in the hall is laughing. I start to run just trying to get away. I head across the street to the start of the woods and I don't stop. I know the general direction of the lake and take off that way. What sick game the goddess is playing with me making my mate someone I can not have and who is so far out of my league. I jump the last log before the smell of the familiar lake hits my nose. Sanctuary.

I pull my jacket over me as I sit at the edge of the lake softly listening to my own heart. I know I cry a lot and react overly dramatic but this is my mate. He is supposed to be the one person I belong with but I don't think I belong with him. I rest my head on my knees and hum a song that calms me down. After a while, I hear movement in the woods and I am all too aware that there are rogues in this area.

I scarry to my feet and take a fighting stance just as Jeff had taught me but before I attack I hear a voice that confuses the life out of me. "There you are!" Devon's voice booms against the quietness of the lake. "I heard what happened," he says as he wrapped his arms around me apparently not caring that he is getting slushy on himself.

I'm speechless. He found me. "Carly, I need you to tell me what happened? Can you do that?" I nod. "I'm not allowed to hang out with you anymore." I take a deep breath. "I need to learn my place. You are popular and I'm a nerd" he shakes his head in disbelieve. "Is this the rubbish Sandy was feeding to you before she dumped the cool drink on your head?" I simply nod. He hugs me tight before wrapping his jacket around mine.

"I have to go pick up Ty. Do you want to come with and we can get ice cream? We can stop by my place and get you some clean clothes." I nod and he leads me by the hand over to his car. "So how did you get all the way out here?" he asks as he opens his passenger side car door for me. I think of an answer but there is no point in it. " I ran, straight from the trail at the school to here." He stares at me quite surprised.

In the old style ice cream bar we sit and to anyone from the outside, we must look like a cute young family. Ty has decided he wants to sit on my lap and Dev is feeding him spoon by spoon from his seat. I laugh at Ty's attempt at my name as I get a "Car!" before being smothered in toddler kisses leaving chocolate ice cream. I laugh as Dev wipes it off my face and the little bit of contact makes my heart beat a million times faster.

While in the bathroom, washing off the remainder of Ty's ice cream, I smell the smell all werewolves are trained to identify. Rogues. Piering out the window I spot one in wolf form at the edge of the path and I take off to catch him before he can cause any trouble in town.