the smell of gingerbread

"Think fast princess" Jeff shouts as he launches a muffin at my head. I catch it laughing at his antics. This is the first time that I am at our training spot before him but at least now I know why as he stopped for food. I grab my coffee from him and take a sip while letting out a moan. Opening my eyes I notice that Jeff is staring at me and suddenly I blush.

"So are you missing the big scary Alpha yet?" he asks as we drink our coffee. Adrian went home the day after the rogue attack as he was scared they would go for his pack next. He promised to come back for my birthday that was now in 10 days. "why do you ask? jealous much?" I joke but suddenly he goes red in the cheeks. I was not expecting that. We start to train but my mind is still on the little bit of blush and I end up on the floor more then I should have.

My school day went by uneventful but as I lie in bed now taking my afternoon nap I can softly here someone crying down the hall. I get up to investigate and my heart breaks as I stand outside the door of my brother listening to the sobs. I slowly open the door and wrap my arms around his sitting form. He stills for a moment before he wraps his arms around me and hugs me back while he cries. No words were spoken and I just sat there hugging him till he fell asleep.

I go down for dinner and everybody looks as sad as I feel. Wolves are lead on instincts and feelings and with the pack bond, everybody mourns with their future alpha over the loss of their future Luna and heir. I play with my food, not feeling all to hungry as I think of what Carter is going through. After dinner, I sneak back into Carters room and hold him for the night as we sleep.

The day before my birthday Carter insists that the two of us spending the day alone together at the lake. "I know we will always be close but it will never be exactly like this again." He said after I promised him we would still be close. "So who do you hope it is?" He asks as he drives the long winding road that leads to the lake. "I honestly don't know. Adrian is amazing and funny and the two of us get along great but if he is my mate then I will need to move to his pack and I don't want to move away from you." he squeezes my hand and says "If that happens I'll a lot I promise. His pack is a short 3 hour run for me."

I take a deep breath. "If its Jeff then its someone I know and love but not someone I ever felt those goosebumps with you know" he nods. "I prayed to the moon Goddess that my mate should be my ex-girlfriend Cherry but when I met Rose, gosh I forgot any other woman ever existed in the same world as us."

I look at him as he replays the moment in his head.

Today was a dream come true. We spent the day playing tag in the lake and tanning on our towels talking about everything and nothing all at once. Carter made me take a pinky promise that no matter who I was mated to I would still be part of his life. "Well, its 8 pm I better get you back to the packed house for the birthday party in an hour" We drive home singing Wake me up before we go go  in the car at the top of our lungs.

Dressed in a light pink floor length sweetheart dress that is MUCH to girly for me I look at the high heels my mother had laid out. I grab a pair of white converse sneakers and sneak them on under my dress before going downstairs to greet everyone at the party.

Adrian kisses my cheek as he greets me in the ballroom. "You look beautiful Carly, but I must say this dress is not exactly what I expected as your type." I laugh with him. "Mom picked it out." He smirked. "So are you excited about midnight?" I look at him with his big blue eyes. "Yes, and No" he laughs. "I understand. I was so excited on my birthday but when I did not find her it made me feel stupid for not finding her. I'm not giving up, I know she is out there somewhere and I promise if it's not you, we will still be friends." I laugh at him awkwardly.

The entire pack is here. I'm not popular at all, in all honesty, I can count my friends on one hand but when the Alpha is having a party everyone comes to it. Midnight everyone cheers "Happy Birthday" and cheers. I can feel my wolf howling happily with the rest of the pack that is celebrating. Carter comes up to me and hugs me in a tight and then I get enveloped in millions of hugs.

Adrian comes up and the people make way as he is an Alpha and they have respect for him. "Happy Birthday Carly," He says pulling me in for a hug. I take a deep sniff as I hug him and as we pull back we both have disappointed looks in our eyes. He gives me a quick kiss on the cheek before moving away.

Jeff comes closer and my breathing hitches. This might be it. "Princess! You actually look like one in that dress." He chuckles and I hit him on the shoulder. "Ouch! You hit hard birthday girl." I laugh. " I had a good trainer." He pulls me in for a hug and I take a deep breath giving my nose a moment to take in his scent. Still nothing.

After everyone said their congratulations my heart slumped. My mate was not here. I walked out the front door and walked across the woodlands area to the towns little park. I sit on the swing as the first tears start to run. I really hoped that I would have found him tonight.

As I start walking home slowly the wind suddenly comes up and that's when the smell hits me. Its a mixture of freshly baked gingerbread cookies and sweet sugary treats. I follow the smell and it leads me to a small house. I go up to the window and gaze in. Fudge, Unicorns, Cats, Kids.

In the small lounge with just a TV on as light I can see the sleeping figure. I move closer to the window and look closely at the person. Devon Jones is lying there lightly snoring in a t-shirt and a loose pair of tracksuit pants with his hair pointing in every direction.

No way! My mate is Devon Jones! My mate is a human!