Chapter 20

(Wow, awesome pic. Also, who agrees that Onyx is a bit of a jerk? I agree.)

I had absolutely no time to react before Darkstalker was in my mind, louder and fiercer than he'd ever been before.

'Do not tell anyone about this. You understand? A stone from the sky that can block a mind reader's powers? If other dragons find out, we'll be ruined. Everyone will get one, and then we'll be deaf, Star, do you understand? If this gets out, it'll be like ripping our claws off. Promise me you won't tell anyone.'

'We wouldn't be deaf. We'd be no worse off than all the normal dragons out there.'

'If you could give up this gift so easily, then you shouldn't be allowed to have it.'

I flinched. 'Shut up for a minute, would you? This is my one chance to hear what Onyx is thinking.'

Darkstalker quieted, muttering. Ostrich was still holding the amulet, all her thoughts fuzzed out as she gently poked the rock inside. If I wanted to find out whether Onyx had set the bomb, I had to make her think about it right now.

Of course, Qibli had no way of knowing that. He was too busy contemplating Onyx's dragonhood with her mother and trying to figure out why she was here. He didn't even look up when I tried to subtly catch his attention. I'd have to do this myself.

"Um-" I blurted, feeling awkward. "What do - who do - have you, uh..."

All the SandWings, except for Qibli, all turned towards me. 

'What is she trying to say?'

'Weird crazy NightWing.'

'I heard that she can barely form sentences; I guess that's true.'

I didn't listen. The right question finally came to me.

"How... how is Tamarin?" I asked.

"Oh, my clawmate." Onyx said with a sigh. 'I don't see why I have to care about dragons from other tribes, but it seems to be expected. At least Tamarin was a quiet, agreeable dragon to share a cave with. She didn't snore like Mother, or tell weepy stories and expect me to care, like mother. Ugh, I hope they don't give me another clawmate. Perhaps if I act totally shattered, they'll keep her out of the cave.'

"It's devastating. I'm just devastated." She said. (Before you say Star saved her, Tamarin was still kind of burned, so yeeeeah...)

She reached for her amulet to take it from Ostrich.

"Can I see it?" I asked.

Onyx looked like she wanted to say no, but Ostrich was already passing the amulet to me.

"Do, you, um-"

I froze, and my heart skipped a beat.

(Qibli's POV. Also, there will be more point of view changes later in the other books. Just a little heads up. Just got bored.)

I looked up from my theorizing about Onyx to see Star holding Onyx's amulet. But something was off. No, everything was off. Star was tense, like she'd seen a creature from her nightmares come to life.

Her wings drooped, and she looked completely paralyzed in fear. Her eyes were wide and I could actually feel her terror coming off her in waves.

"Star?" I whispered, and she didn't respond. She stared off at something unknown.

I realized she was staring at the Skyfire, and I snatched it out of her hands. Just like coming out of a trance, she shook herself, and leaned towards me. She was visibly shaking. I pretty much covered her with one wing so I could hide her from sight.