Chapter 6

I searched for a while to find this picture, but it's awesome. Credit to the artist, this looks great!

"It's MORNING!" Kinkajou sang, pouncing on Moon's tail. "Isn't that WONDERFUL?"

Moon blinked at the RainWing blearily. I woke up, trying to remember where I was, until I remember crawling in with Carnelian. Kinkajou was more pink than yellow now, but she still nearly melted my eyes off. I felt like I'd only just gotten to sleep. 'My fault for wandering in the middle of the night.' I grumbled. Moon looked up immediately and glared at me. 'You did what, now? ' she asked. I shook my head.

"It's the opposite of wonderful." Carnelian grouched, half opening an eye. I think I startled her, because she hopped up and stared at me. I gave her the big eyes, and she smiled. She flopped down again, putting one wing over her head, and the other over me. I let out a purr, and peeked out her wings again.

"We get to meet our winglet today!" Kinkajou cried. "Isn't that exciting?" She asked. She nudged Moon's tail with her own, then plunked down on the moss beside her. She had so much energy, I felt hyper and exhausted at the same time. I was hyper-exhausted.

"What do you mean, our winglet?" I asked, hoping to fall asleep while she explained.

"Oh it's the best idea! I mean, I was worried about it at first because I was like: ACK, I'll have to make friends with a NIGHTWING, but now that I know you two, I can see that there's nothing to worry about!" She said brightly. I smiled, beginning to drowse. "We've been organized into five winglets. It's not a whole wing of dragons, so a winglet. Five groups of seven dragonets, of eight, in our case. We're in the Jade Winglet, my friend Tamarin is in the Gold Winglet. The idea is that we'll work with the other dragonets and then we'll totally understand all of the tribes, and nobody will ever want to go to war ever again. I can't wait to meet our SeaWing, they sound so weird. Let's go, let's go, let's go!" She said, grabbing Moon's tail and dragging her out of the cave.

"Come on Moon! We have three minutes!" Kinkajou said, hearing three gongs. Finally, they leapt out the door. Carnelian got up and spread out her wings. I cocked my head, and she smiled kindly. "Well, I know where it is, and we only have a few minutes to get there." She said. I jumped onto her back and curled up. She didn't seem to mind, as she shot off through the halls. The angry thoughts and feelings of other dragons pierced my mind.

'oh, there's that weird runty NightWing that doesn't talk.'

'She's the one who tried to steal that IceWing's scavenger.'

'Seems stuck-up like all the other NightWings, doesn't want to make friends with anybody.'

Some of their thoughts were said out loud. I looked up, trying not to get upset. I cried easily. I couldn't stop the tears though. I tried to wipe them away with my tail, and Carnelian looked at me with concern, then started walking faster. 'Wow, the SkyWing seems to be showing some feeling for once.' 'Why would she care about that little runty NightWing when she doesn't seem to care about anyone?' 'Why is the NightWing on her back? Too weak to walk? Wow, she must be annoying.' I let out a whimper, and Carnelian actually shot forward and started flying towards the cave.

When we were near where we were supposed to be, she let me down. I tumbled slightly, and I blushed. Kinkajou and Moon were right behind us. We were in a cave that opened up to the sky on one side. There was a waterfall as well, and lots of vines. Tsunami sat on a ledge with the morning sun shining behind her. About time. She thought. My own fault for getting up at the crack of dawn, but really it's time to get started, let's GO!

The gong sounded again, but only twice this time.

"Hello. Welcome to your first class. Nice work finding the right cave. Carnelian, Kinkajou, Starchaser, and Moonwatcher, right? Oh, be impressed, I've been practicing so hard to memorize all of you! Thirty-six new names! Easy as cows for Starflight, but a whole lot trickier for me and Clay. It helps that I knew some of you before."