Chapter 10

'Queen Scarlet. She's come for us!' Starflight thought in a panic.

"Find somewhere to hide!" He yelled to me, Kinkajou, Moon, Qibli, and Sora. He leaped over the desk and stumbled forward with his talons outstretched. "Don't let her see you!" he yelped. 'Which way to the Great Hall? I have to get there. I have to protect them.' He thought. I pressed against the wall. I had heard of Queen Scarlet. She was one of the scariest and meanest queens. She made dragons fight to death in her arena. "Who? Who are we hiding from?" Kinkajou asked, her thoughts sparking a flame in my mind.

I pressed against the wall, trying to block out the terrified thoughts that flooded my mind. I let out a whimper, and covered my face with my talons. Moon put an unsure claw on my shoulder. 'Sis, I... I can't hear you. I can't hear your thoughts.' She thought to me, barely audible through the terror and thoughts surging through my head. I started to cry, letting out a loud wail. The headache was so strong, it was like I was being burned. I couldn't hear anything anymore, just terrifying images that seared through my mind.

I saw dragons burning in chains, slaughtered dragons splayed motionless on the ground, dragons with burns and scorches on their arms, dragons murdered, executed, and even more horrifying images seemed to be flooding my mind, along with screams of angry and dying dragons.

(Qibli's point of view)

I stared at Star. She had her head in her talons, wailing like she was dying. She had pressed herself against the wall as much as possible, as though she was trying hard to become a part of it. 

'Why is she so scared? Does she know why everyone is afraid of that... particular SkyWing? Where would she have heard that? She seems so scared... I wonder if I can do anything. I don't want her to be afraid. What should I do? I don't even know if I could protect her from Scarlet. It might not even be her, it could be any other SkyWing, but what SkyWing is so scary that...' The thought of who else it might be made me terrified, but I couldn't show it, not now.

I put a comforting talon on her shoulder, and she flinched. "Noooooo..." She wailed loudly, in a higher pitch. I didn't know what else to do. I leaned closer. "You're safe. No one's ever going to hurt you. I won't let them." I murmured, in a voice that only we could hear. Star shook like she was going to have a panic attack. Moon looked extremely concerned. She looked too stunned to do anything.

I tried again. "Star, it's Qibli. I promise, nothing will happen to you. You'll stay safe." She lifted her talons from her face slightly. She was crying. I took her talons in mine, and lifted her face to look at me. I had never noticed how beautiful her eyes were. They were a gorgeous sea-green, and her pupils were tiny with fear. She looked as though she was absolutely terrified, and her glazed eyes seemed like they were fixed on some unknown enemy. What had caused her to be so scared?

"I'll protect you, and no one will ever hurt you again." I promised. She finally seemed to look me in the eye. She started shaking, and tears were now a steady flow down her cheeks. Her wings drooped, and she looked as though she'd been through a war zone. I let go of her talons, but she began to look scared again. I held my arms out in a comforting gesture.

She launched herself into my arms, sniffling like a newborn dragonet. Her small talons seemed to cling to my shoulder. "Q-Qibli..." She hiccuped. "I'm scared." I patted her back. I threw my wings around her in a gesture of comfort. She seemed to curl up in a ball of fear. "I'll protect you." I whispered. She seemed to be calmed down, and her sea green eyes gazed into my brown ones. I tried to set her down, but she gave me the big eyes, and I held her. 

"Qibli... we need to find out who it is. We have to, or we'll just be really scared for nothing." Moon growled, flicking her tail. Kinkajou bounded up to me, her scales flashing pale blue. "Star, what's wrong?" She asked. I let Star down, and she gave Kinkajou a small hug. "I'm okay now." Star said. "Moon's right. We need to go find the SkyWing." she whispered. We started down the hall. I made it a point to walk next to Star, not letting her out of my sight.