|Chapter 20|

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power. -Unknown

{A/N Quick reminder:

Jane and John: Avia's Parents

Mike: Lauryn's Dad

Diana: Angie's Mom

Will: Nick and Kell's Dad

Roger: Peter's Dad

Sarah: Cass's Mom}

~Late Spring 1986~

John Thompson walks down the grungy halls of Silver Valley High, his art class portfolio in hand. He's obsessed with all things creative, a sharp contrast of what boys his age are indoctrinated into being interested in. Sports never appealed to John, so he doesn't pretend to be what the whole school expects of him.

Leaving his ceramics class later than his usual tardiness, he rounds the empty hallway.

What should be a normal stroll through the halls is stopped short once he hears hushed shouts coming from a bathroom. This bathroom is barely used because of the infamous pipe problem of '84.

The senior prank that year consisted of stuffing whatever anyone could down the toilets, resulting in thousands of dollars in damage.

School administrators haven't bothered fixing the pipes on this bathroom, and John doubts they ever will.

Now, most people just go there to fool around.

Something is drawing him to go see what's going on. He can't explain the feeling, but fate itself pushes John towards the door.

He sets his portfolio down by the bathroom door and opens it just enough to get a full view of what's going on. To his surprise, the aggression comes from his close friends, Diana and Mike.

In all honesty, being a close friend of John isn't difficult. His Elite status made him unequivocally outcasted by everyone except his fellow Elites.

Their backs are facing him, and as he peers further left, Roger comes into view.

John doesn't particularly like Roger, but it was Will's decision to include him in The Elites. John couldn't object because Will is his best friend, who he owes more than a few favors to.

Unsurprisingly, Roger is not the one shouting. No, he is sulking quietly close to the corner. He barely speaks, and his voice is so deep that John barely understands him regardless.

None of them see the quiet art kid eavesdropping.

Taking a closer look, John observes Mike and Diana cornering a petite girl into the grimy bathroom corner.