|Chapter 5|

"Revenge doesn't stop." -Daniel Craig

I'm at school in the early morning because Nick has a math test today

I'm at school in the early morning because Nick has a math test today. My mom never told me that exhaustion was required in order to be an Elite, but here I am.

I've been helping him study twice a week, but today, he's losing his mind.

Tugging on his hair, Nick sighs. "How can you be helping me so much yet I still don't get it?"

I'm about to rip his hair out for him, but those innocent brown eyes hold me back. "You have to believe in yourself or you're not going to pass."

He slumps back in his chair and takes long, shallow breaths. I didn't believe Nick was this helpless at first, but now I'm convinced. Math is not programmed in his DNA.

"Okay, I'm smart enough to know that nothing useful is coming out of me cramming this late."

"You'd be correct." I grin slyly.

Nick looks at me humorlessly. "Ha ha."

He clears his throat. "I just wanted to say thank you for helping me these past few weeks. Without you, I would've gotten an F on that first quiz."

It was a nice compliment at face value, but even with our rigorous studying, he only scraped by with a C-minus.

Needless to say, I don't have much confidence in my pupil.

"I've always helped my friends out, just...maybe not as much as you," I tease.

He chuckles. "That just means I'm important."

"Sure it does," I agree, my voice dripping with sarcasm.

Nick really is the person I'm closest to out of all The Elites, discounting Poppy's fantasy friendship with me. He's the only one who can hold a decent conversation.

He checks his watch. "Shit, I have to get going," Nick looks at me doe-eyed. "Are you coming?"

I shake my head because, believe it or not, I need to study for myself.

Spending the next few moments reviewing my notes, I decide to go to class a little early to refine my English paper.

As I push open the library doors, I find a mass of people clumped together. Strangely, they part easily when I try to get through. At the center of the mass, I find something that makes my heart stand still.

I smirk because he just presented me with a huge opportunity.

Standing confidently in the center is Nick, who's holding a sign. Romantic scribbles read: "It would make me exponentially happy if you said yes. Take a chance, no calculations. Avia Huxley, will you go to homecoming with me? The probability of a good time is guaranteed."