|Chapter 17|

A first love is something that lasts forever in your heart. It's something that marks you. -Elodie Yung

There's no better way to start a Saturday morning than with the girl that makes me smile just thinking about her

There's no better way to start a Saturday morning than with the girl that makes me smile just thinking about her. After the disaster that was Angie's Halloween party, Marie and I had a sleepover in my lavish bedroom.

Nothing romantic happened, not that for the lack of me trying all night, but it was probably for the best looking back. My entire body was dead with exhaustion. When all you hear for hours upon hours is loud chatter and drama, your body begins to shut down out of sheer fatigue.

Now I'm hangover-free, and Marie and I are determined to make the best pancakes we've ever eaten. Even though pancake mix is the easiest thing to whip up, Marie is struggling.

"Good thing home ec class isn't a thing in school anymore. That's the only class you'd get a C in," I tease her, and she blushes uncontrollably.

Walking over to her, I tuck a stray lock of blonde hair behind her ear, and once again, Marie is smiling. To my dismay, she hands me the spatula.

"If I'm so bad at it, then you do it!" She spouts and sits on top of my counters.

I scrunch my nose. "Ew, who knows where your ass has been. There could be bugs on the counter now!"

"My ass was at a Halloween party last night, which isn't my scene at all mind you, to help get Peter's blood. You should've been a vampire instead of a doctor. It'd be more fitting," Marie sticks her tongue out playfully.

"Speaking of blood," I lick the batter-covered spatula to her utter horror. "Where'd you put the vial?"

She shrugs. "In the fridge. What are we even going to do with it? I can't keep it in the back by the ketchup forever, Avia."

I nod my head in agreement. We need to figure out how to test that blood, and what test to even give it. Ideas flutter through my mind, but one sticks out as a winner.

"I have a plan that will probably work. All we need is a bit of cash, and then we'll go to-"

My mom walks in while I'm detailing my plan, effectively cutting me off. She's wearing a plush purple robe and slippers and looks surprised to see Marie still here.

"Those look good," Mom says as I begin to lay them on the griddle. "Did you make enough for me?"

Marie perks up. "Of course, Ms. Huxley! We wouldn't want to leave you out."

God, what a suck-up. I roll my eyes towards Marie, and unfortunately, she sees me. In response, she flicks some water on me from her newly washed hands.

After that, my kitchen remains quiet for a long while. My mom's sipping on her coffee, and all I can hear is the whistling of our pancakes cooking.