|Chapter 8|

To exact revenge for yourself or your friends is not only a right, it's an absolute duty. -Stieg Larsson

There are school faculty and chaperones lining the dance floor perimeter

There are school faculty and chaperones lining the dance floor perimeter. Any couple that dances too closely or too provocatively gets called over immediately to be reprimanded.

Not exactly the night of passion I anticipated.

Standing near the outside of the mass of students, I quickly give my burgundy dress a once-over. Nothing about my look has changed since Nick and I took pictures at his house, but I just wanted to make sure everything is perfect. Who knows who could be watching me tonight.

His house is exactly how I expected it to look, an abhorrently expensive mansion. Nick wanted to give me a tour, but I reminded him we'd be late if he did.

Nick comes up to me with Kell, who he has been trying to find since we arrived. Beside Kell is Cass, his date, who looks demure in a soft purple dress that exudes girliness.

"Hey Avia! Looking absolutely gorgeous," Kell compliments, and I thank him politely.

"Just so you know," He starts, pulling out a metallic flask. "I brought in the real fun in case you want some," Kell begins to sip out of the flask, passing it to Cass afterwards.

The chaperones make a point to avoid our group as if they were instructed not to.

With all the money The Elites feed into Silver Valley High, that's probably the case.

I smile. "No thanks, I'm holding out for the afterparty."

"Wow, who knew Nick would land a chick so responsible," He teases his blushing brother.

Angie flounces over with Peter in hand.

"I didn't know we were having a mid-dance meeting!" She chuckles at her unfunny joke.

She's wearing a simple, understated apricot floor-length number. Never being one to stand out with her fashion choices, Angie makes sure to make up for that with her elaborate updo.

Peter, like most guys here, wears a simple suit jacket and pants outfit, paired with a matching-colored dress shirt to his date's gown.

"Oh, it's not a meeting." I roll my eyes humorously. "Kell was just mentioning the interesting beverage he brought to the dance."

Nick and I leave the golden couple with Cass and Kell, who surprisingly look like they have unmistakable chemistry. They both look at each other with doe-eyes, which makes the muscular football player seem more down to earth than usual. I even caught Kell tracing circles on the back of Cass's hand.

They'll never last, but it's a nice thought to entertain.

People so incredibly different like Cass and Kell never stand a chance.