|Chapter 2|

"No trait is more justified than revenge in the right time and place." -Meir Kahane

For a school so magnificent on the outside, I expected the locker rooms to not smell like they've been completely drenched in sweat

For a school so magnificent on the outside, I expected the locker rooms to not smell like they've been completely drenched in sweat. Standing in front of the tiniest mirror I've ever seen, I try to make my gym uniform a little more presentable by smoothing out the creases and straightening the crooked neckline.

After all, appearances are everything if you're trying to impress everyone.

Silver Valley's football field is impressive, but that makes sense. I guess the school cares more about the parts outsiders actually see than some shitty P.E locker room.

I see who I presume to be Kell, and ice-cold hatred freezes the blood in my veins. These are the people who took my father away from me.

I try to calm myself down because I don't need an emotional breakdown on the first day of my senior year.

Would it be too abrasive to ask him to be my partner for today? I don't want to make myself look desperate. My old friends always used to say I was a little too outgoing when meeting new people. Although, I always said they were full of shit.

Taking a deep breath to calm my ever-present nerves, I throw caution to the wind as I jog towards him.

"Hey, do you have a partner yet?" I ask. This childish interaction reminds me of when I was back in elementary school, but I guess that's what being in an unfamiliar place feels like.

He ruffles his chestnut hair as I approach, and his taut muscles tighten. "No. You must be new. The name's Kell."

"How does everyone know so fast?" I run my fingers through my hair looking sheepish.

Kell's perfect face smiles to show his annoyingly straight teeth. "We only have two or three new people come each year, and you're probably the only senior. You are a senior, right?" His crooked nose crinkles after asking.

Because associating with a junior is so faux pas. From what I've seen thus far, it's not about what The Elites say to you, but how they say it.

A simple question is spoken with a tone so condescending that disgust is rising up through my stomach and almost revealing itself in my words.

"Pretty sure this gym class is only seniors," I deadpan, and promptly my heart races. That was a dumb thing to do. I can be sarcastic with Marie and Logan, but not with him.

He could ruin my plans before I've even started if he notices one small misstep. Then what would mom say? She'd be mortified and send me back to Germany to spend the rest of my life in solitude.

Kell looks at me thoughtfully, contemplating if I was only joking or making fun of his question. I guess he decided on the former. "Damn, I'll let that one slide since you're not used to the whole system yet. Anyway, did you hear about the party tonight at Peter's house?"