Chapter Twenty-Three

Lord Thad

"Father." Saerena walked up to her father sitting alone at a table in one of the smaller dining rooms of Kaverian. There was more food around for only one man to finish, slaves standing along the wall off to the side awaiting her father's orders.

Lord Thad split apart a loaf of bread, taking his time to spread butter over a smaller piece. He kept his eyes on his daughter waiting for her to sit but she stood, staring at him, disdainfully. "You clearly aim to disappoint me every chance you get."

There was never a time when Saerena heard her father's voice gentle or sympathetic. She could never please him, not unless she played the role he believed women to play. A dutiful daughter that marries a man of his approval and has children, grooming the boys to be future leaders. If he had his way, Saerena's mind would be under his control. It scared Saerena on how strong his magic was and what he was capable of. That is why she practiced every soft moment she could to strengthen her own magic for the day he used it to try and control her.

A few things transpired of recent and she was sure he loathed her disinterest of ignoring Lord Joro. "I am sorry, father. But I do not wake up each morning, strategizing ways to vex you."

"I should have found another and maybe I'd have more children who would obey, Perhaps a son." His snide insult, left no effect on Saerena, growing accustom to his harsh words.

"You did. He died along with your second wife during childbirth." Saerena could not help but throw insult back. She waved her hand at him exaggeratedly. "But, you are still young. It's not too late to try again."

His eyes glistened in enmity. He put his bread down, brushing his hands together. Lord Thad stood and ambled around the table to close the distance between them and grab his daughter by the chin, fingernails pinching into her skin. "I warn you, daughter. There are many ways of punishing you." Saerena knew what he meant.

  He narrowed his eyes wanting her to see the severity of what would happen if she defied him again. "You are not to cover for those hyenas again. That bitch hyena, Livei will be punished if she does not die by arena this day. Her reward will be of high memory, once we our back home." Lord Thad would not forget. He was speaking of the knight that tried to assault Livei and she stopped by spelling him to an unconscious state.

"He was trying to—"

"Any knight has the right to fuck whomever." He looked down at his daughter and repeated his the word, "whomever!"

His words were a stab to the chest. Saerena's eyes widen seeing now that she would never be happy with him around, trying to control her every move. By the grimness in his eyes, Lord Thad meant his words.

   "As for the hybrid...she is not to speak to that Orc." He continued. He'd known of the meeting between T'ara and Kruagus, sending Deathhounds to end it before much was said.

   "I do not know what you speak of," Saerena lied without hesitation.

   "I am no fool." He bent his head down, breathing in her face. "I warn you. Think carefully before you make a move against me."

   Saerena heard her father's threat. There was an uncomfortable silence between them that was tense and sharp enough to cut a man in half. A young boy ran up, a few feet behind Saerena. Lord Thad never shifted his eyes from his daughter, waving for the boy to speak.

   "My Lord." The boy stood still, eyes running around in circles, unsure of where to look. Lord Thad was a scary and intimidating. "The King requests you in his private quarters."

Not finished with his daughter, Lord Thad put on his gauntlets. "This is not personal. You are my daughter. And despite how harsh I am on you, I love you. But..." he held his index up in her face. "How the Druids feel of their Gods and fucking Goddesses coming first...politics come first for me. This Kingdom, comes first. You are second." He straightened. "Do not forget that order."