1

It was a cold first day in September, late in the afternoon. The wind blew against my face making my cheeks freeze in place, not able to move them.
My legs were moving faster than usual, I was already late for work and my boss kept calling every 2 minutes.
I had fallen asleep at uni in the study hall, because I had been studying all night. I was at my second year and the classes and assignments were getting harder.
When I wasn't working and going to uni I was studying and helping out my dad and my sister at the convenience store. We didn't have much, but we managed.

Mom died 3 years ago; she was diagnosed with leukemia. Everything went by so fast, luckily she didn't suffer very long. It would have been worse to see her slowly die while suffering. For that my heart was a little peaceful when we had to let her go. 

She died in the hospital bed, holding dads hand one last time.
He stopped talking to us after that. Just recently he started opening up and sometimes he utters a few words to us.

I finally arrived at the restaurant I was working at. Mr. Ung, my boss was waiting for me at the check in counter.
"Finally you could be here... let's have this be the first and last time that happens. Miss Kang." He was impatiently looking at his watch.
"I'm really sorry boss. I promise it won't happen again." I bowed respectfully at him and quickly got changed.

When work was finally over, it was almost 1 in the morning. Dad was packing shelves in the convenience store when I got home. Eun Jae was watching the cash register and waiting to take care of customers. The store was open everyday until 3 in the morning. 

"Hi..." I announced myself as I entered the automatic doors. "Hey eonnie." Eun Jae brightly looked up and hugged me. 

"Go to bed, let me take over. You need to be fully rested for school." I pushed her away from the counter and ushered her out of the shop to go home. She kept protesting on the way but gave in at the end.

"Hey appa." I smiled and kissed dad on the cheek before grabbing a working vest. "Appa... go home and sleep I can manage here by myself."

"Will... you be okay?" He stuttered coming around to the counter. I nodded, "Of course. I'll be fine. I have off from school tomorrow, so it's not a problem."
He smiled and took off his vest. 

"Okay. I'll go then." He kissed my forehead and stepped out of the store.
It turned extremely quiet, just me sitting there by myself not even a customer in sight. I brought out my books and started studying. Might as well do something productive.

After a while I walked around the store fixing the different products on the shelves. I heard the doors open, but thought nothing more of it.
I heard a few voices whispering as they went through the store.

"Excuse me, do you have any dried squid? We can't seem to find it." A young man wearing a black cap asked. He looks familiar, but I can't seem to place him. Maybe I've seen him in the store before.
"Oh yes, it's right over here." I led him to the shelf with snacks and showed him the dried squid.
"Thank you!" 

I walked back to the counter to read a bit more, waiting for them to finish.
Another young man came up to me. He was wearing a black cap too but I could only see his eyes, since he's also wearing a black face mask. He looked to be in his late twenties, start thirties. 

His dark eyes were locked with mine. It was like he was staring into my soul. I feel a sudden rush of blood flowing up to my cheeks. Even though only his eyes were visible I could tell he's handsome.

There's something about him I can't quite figure out.
"Do you have... uhm... I mean..." he started stammering, not able to come forward with the right words. I smiled at him, that was so cute. 

The other guy then came up to us and slapped him on the back.
"What are you trying to say man? Cats got your tongue?" He laughed loudly and put down the squid for me to check out.

When done, I asked for the amount they had to pay and said goodbye.

I chuckled lightly to myself, feeling my cheeks heat up a little again, thinking about the cute guy.

Hey guys, hope you like the first chapter of this new fanfic I'm writing. xx