Chapter 8

Finally our heroes were back in the past again. They wounded up in Toadwood Forest. Crash was the first one to touch the ground, seeing that he was the first to jump in. He looked around, seeing the forest. Violet was the next one out, joining up with Crash. Mario, Luigi, Baby Mario, and Baby Luigi were the last ones out. They were just outside of the forest, walking into it.

Crash asked, looking around, "So where are we exactly?"

Violet answered, "Toadwood Forest."

Mario added, "And the middle point between these two is Toad Town."

Crash simply nodded, getting on his communication watch. Luigi looked around as he was a bit scared.

He asked, "Why did we have to wind up in the creepy forest?"

Mario shrugged as they all looked around. They went deeper into the woods and when Crash was about to say something, they all heard a voice.

"...ario... Mis..."

Everyone looked around, trying to find out who was talking. That's when they saw a female Toad tied up to a tree. Luigi backed away from it, in fright. The babies ran off, causing Violet to go after them.

She yelped, "Mister Mario... I am called Toadiko... I was...on the...time machine...with Princess Peach..."

Mario stated, "Yes, I remember you! What happened?!"

She explained, weakly, "As... As soon as we arrived...in this time...we were attacked. A fierce...alien race known as...the Shroobs...came...out of nowhere..."

...

-Flashback-

The time machine touchdown in the past, with Toadiko, a blue Toad with glasses, and Peach got out. She saw the state her castle was in and gasped.

"Oh no, what happened?" She asked, her hands on her cheeks in shock.

The Blue Toad saw something coming towards them and shrieked, "Eek!"

Both Toads hid behind Peach as Shroobs walked up to them. They moved to the side, Princess Shroob walking up to Peach.

She was scared but decided to keep her cool and asked, "Who are you?"

Princess Shroob said nothing but raised her claws, activating a purple power. Peach gasped as the Toads hid behind her fearfully.

-End of Flashback-

...

Toadiko added, "Princess Peach...was taken by the Shroobs..."

Crash stated, "We've come to that conclusion already."

Mario told him, gesturing to Violet, "And many more conclusions."

Crash nodded in agreement to that as Violet brought over the babies and Luigi.

Toadiko replied, "And I was...captured by...the trees of this forest... These trees... They're slowly but surely...siphoning all of our...mushroom power... Our vim... The pure vim...then flows through the...roots of the trees...deep, deep underground... It is gathered...at the Shroob Vim Factory...in the heart of the forest... Rumor has it...the mushroom power...is somehow changed at the...Vim Factory. It's mixed with...awful chemicals and...becomes the fuel for...the Shroob's flying...saucers..."

Violet breathed, "Oh how awful!"

Luigi stammered, "W - we got to get her out of there!"

Toadiko protested, "No... Leave me here... Hasten to the Vim Factory... It is all...that matters now... Somewhere...in that horrid place...is a Cobalt Star shard... I just...know it..." She was about to add, "The Cobalt Star...and Princess Peach..."

All of the sudden, the Shroobs flying saucers started to shoot at the heroes. They quickly got out of the line of fire but Toadiko was not as lucky. She winds up getting hit, turning into a shroob mushroom. The flying saucers left, the heroes coming out of hiding.

Violet was in shock as she yelled, "No!"

Luigi hung onto her, bringing her close as he whispered, "There, there Vi..."

Mario was in shock too and breathed, "This can't be happening..."

Crash pointed out, "It's happening and the only way to help her now is to get to the Vim Factory and gather the shards."

Mario nodded in agreement as they headed on their way.

...

After breaking the security drones, the group headed into the Vim Factory, immediately attacked by two Hammer Bros. The two of them had some strange helmets on. But they didn't looked too pleased.

One stated, "AREA RESTRICTED! ALL NOOB INTRUDERS 2 B HAXORED BY US L33T HAMM3R BROZ.!"

The other added, "WE R TEH SHROOB ALLIES. WE ROXOR U THEN ROFL. THEN U AM CRY. WE RECEIVE ORDERS THRU ANTENNAS ON THESE L33T HELMETS. THEY R HOTNESS. WE MUST OBEY ALL ORDERS. WE LIKE 2 PWN NOOBS 4 TEH MASTER SHROOBZORS. U = NOOBS. BROZ. = L33T PREPARE 4 TOTAL PWNAGE. WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT!"

Violet blinked in confusion as she asked, "Uh did anyone understand that?"

Crash answered, "All I got was helmets controlling them."

Mario stated, jumping forward, "You got more than I did!"

Luigi replied, also jumping forward fearfully, "And me!"

Just then, a strange device came down from the ceiling. It started to suck, capturing Mario and Luigi. Violet grabbed Baby Luigi as Crash grabbed Baby Mario. Mario and Luigi were then taken away by the Hammer Bros. Crash ran to follow but the door slammed right in his face.

He groaned in pain, "Ow..."

Violet groaned, "Oh no...now what...?"

Crash replied, "I don't know but we have to get into that room and save them."

Violet nodded in agreement and responded, "Okay, let's get a move on."

She thought, gripping Baby Luigi, 'Hold on Luigi. I'm coming.'

...

Meanwhile, Cortex was following the map that he got from a Young Toad. Coco and Aku-Aku followed behind, worried.

Coco asked, "Are we there yet? I'm really worried about Crash."

Aku-Aku floated up and down as he answered, "We all are."

Cortex stated, "Well, I wasn't expecting for his communication watch to come online."

Coco replied, "Someone must've fixed it for him."

Aku-Aku added, "Whomever they are, they are good in my book."

Cortex looked up from the map as he told them, "We're found it."

Coco and Aku-Aku took a look. They both frowned, seeing the Vim Factory.

Coco commented, "Okay, points for a really creepy factory."

Aku-Aku stated, "Since Crash did not come to the meeting sight, there must have been some trouble here."

Cortex looked at the front way and replied, "Well, trouble or not, the front way is open. Coco, fetch Nina and let's head inside. We might find Crash in there."

Coco nodded, headed towards the airship to fetch Nina. Taking the three year old into her arms only reminded her of one thing: Dr. Neo Periwinkle Cortex had a family.

...

Wishmaker1028: That he does! Alright guys, that wraps up chapter 8. Hope you all are enjoying this little change of pace. Hoping to do a chapter in the future where our heroes finally go to the island. It just needs to be done. Please read and review! And always think outside of the box!