Chapter 6 Numb

I woke up to sound of a car coming down the gravel road, I was still in Dana's arms. I rolled over and looked at him sleeping, he was so peaceful. I had seen so many different side of him it was unreal, I had seen Dana be angry, stressed, and I had finally realized he had the same problem Derek did. They both had horrible things in their life and had both lost something they cared about. Derek lost his parents who cared deeply for him and Dana never really had the feeling of being loved by them but it still had to hurt when the pushed him out. 

:Good Morning Beautiful" Dana said in a raspy morning voice which was incredibly sexy

"Haha good morning" I said with little enthusiasm 

Dana got out of the bed and began to put on his clothes, I did the same. Soon there was a knock on the door.

"Who do you think that is?" Dana asked

"Ashley maybe.. Did you lock the door?"

"No, maybe its a client."

Dana went to answer the door, I finished putting on my clothes and went into the bathroom. Ashley had some makeup in a bag. Nothing major, just some mascara and eye liner. I heard Dana's voice and two others I had never heard before. The voice soon changed from talking to yelling, I wasn't sure what to do, so I just stayed put. I heard things like why don't you have the money repeatedly from the two voices I had never heard. Dana was outside for at least a half an hour, at this point I thought going to check on him would be a good idea.

I got to the door and was about to open it and I heard three gun shots, one of them hitting the house and followed by the speeding down the gravel road. My heart started racing, I opened the door and ran to Dana who was on the ground in the middle of the drive way. He had two wounds one in he chest the other by his shoulder.

"Dana what happened?" I asked streaming down my face

"They wanted the money I didn't have." his voice slowly starting to fade

"Dana I have to call the cops!"

"No, you can't just wait till I go and then find your way back, if I get taken to the hospital, and live then I'll go to jail."

"But Dana." I said with more tears " I love you" kissing his lips softly

"I love you too." his voice even weaken than before

I held Dana in my arms as his eyes closed and he took his last breath. I sat there for hours just holding him trying to fathom what had happened. I heard another car start to pull in, my heart started to race again thinking it was the two guys from before but, It wasn't, it was Will.  He got out of the car and ran towards me.

"Anna, oh my god are you okay?"

I could tell the mascara was streaky down my face and tears will still falling down "I loved him Will, I loved him."

"Oh sweetie" he said as he knelt down and rubbed my back and called for an  ambulance.

They pronounced Dana dead at the scene, I knew they would, but that what he wanted. I thought about what all would have and could have happened if Dana wasn't shot. Would we still be together? Would Will have found me? All of these questions raced though my mind as I sat in the back of Will's car after being questioned. I couldn't help very much seeing as I didn't see or know the people that were here.

"Anna, do you want to go see Derek?" Will asked as he got into the car

I had almost completely forgotten about Derek, and I had no idea why "Yes" I said very bluntly with tears starting to roll down my face. I now knew what Dana was doing that whole time, his goal was to get my mind off of Derek so I wouldn't think about running back. For all I know Dana may have never loved me the way he said, he may have never liked me either, but Derek, Derek was a different story. I knew Derek at least cared about me, if not loved me like a sister and even if that was the only case, I'd be okay with that. When he kissed me in his car I never felt so alive and I wanted to feel that again.

Will and I got to the hospital him dropping me off to find a parking spot and telling me Derek was in room 1225. I followed the signs and almost running out of the elevator down the hall and seeing his door was open. I walked in and there he was his eyes closed machines hooked up to him showing his blood pressure and different measurements of things and his wrist was wrapped. He looked so peaceful sleeping his chest moving up and down with every breath he took. Then I realized, I'd have to tell him what happened when I was with Dana. Every feeling in my body left, I felt nothing, and then Derek's eyes opened.

"Anna?" he asked tiredly and fear shot through my vains.