Chapter 2 Derek's POV Take My Breath Away

I drove Anna home and told her I'd pick her up at 6:00, it was only 4:30 when we got home. I pulled into my drive way and parked the car, I just sat there for awhile thinking about Anna and what Dana would say when I told I couldn't do this anymore. I wondered what he would do to me and to Anna, I didn't want anything bad to happen to her, if he did something and god for bid she didn't make it I don't think I could live with myself. I got out of the car and walked into the house. There was a note on the fridge door from Melissa. Hey Derek, I took Jesse to Jude's house he'll be home before the bonfire tonight, I have a dance class at 4 and I should be home about 6 I'll see you later tonight, Love Melissa.

  Melissa had never been too concerned with what I did as long as I didn't get in trouble, and I usually never got caught, if I did I was never doing anything too bad. I went up to my room and smoked about half a blunt. I looked at the clock it was 5:45 and I figured I should brush my teeth and spray some more axe on myself so Anna wouldn't question anything. I texted Anna at 5:50 Hey you ready yet she replied very shortly Yeah lets get this over with. I walked out of the house and go into my car pulled up to Anna's side of the street and honked twice. She came trotting from her house and got into the car and put her seat belt on.

"You ready?" I asked

"Yeah, Are you?" she replied

"Yeah but this isn't my first time doing this." I said as I starting to drive

"Derek, I know this isn't necessarily exactly how you wanted to get out of this, and maybe you don't even want out of this, but I know what you are capable of and I know its more than this."

"Anna, I'm not mad that you're making me stop doing this, I'm mad because you wanted to come along and I'm scared of what Dana is going to say and or do to you. Dana isn't a nice guy, and I never planned to start dealing it just happened without me realizing it.  I regret it everyday and it hurts me that I disappointed everyone not just just you and your family and not just my sister and brother, but it hurts that my mom and dad are watching over me and they can't tell me what to do Anna! I can't get any advice from them, if they were still here we wouldn't be in this situation!"

Anna had no response, it was silent except for my radio,which was playing Breath by Breaking Benjamin.

 You take the breath right out of me

You left a hole where my heart should be

You got to fight just to make it through

Cause I will be the death of you

Each line reminded me of something different "You take the breath right out of me" reminded me of Anna and how she took my breath away every time I saw her, "You left a hole where my heart should be" reminded me of my parents taking a part of me with them when they left. "You have to fight just make it through" reminded me of two things, 1 Melissa, Jesse, and myself trying to make it without our parents and 2 me trying to stop doing weed and get out of the business, and last but not least "Cause I will be the death of you" reminded me about how wrong I was for Anna and how I didn't know what this experience would do for her and how me doing this was killing her. She never said anything but I could see it in her eyes when she knew I had smoked, and the look on her face when she found out I was selling, it looked like someone had kicked a puppy in front of her. It just seemed like things between me and Anna would never work. I heard Anna say something

"What was that?" I asked not hearing what she said

"Nothing, it was nothing, but um how much longer till we get there?" She asked 

"About another 15 minutes or so." I say bluntly

"Derek, I'm sorry about everything, but I just get so worried about you and its hard for me to see you like this."

We pulled up to a stop sign, cut her off and I kissed her. It wasn't my plan at all I had never planned on kissing Anna at least not tonight but I kissed her, long and hard. The thing the surprised me the most, was she let me kiss her and she actually kissed me back as long and as hard as I kissed her. It was a can't-eat, can't-sleep, reach-for-the-stars, over-the-fence, World Series kind of kiss one that felt like I should have been in one of the Nicholas Sparks books Anna had told me about. I lend away from her and started to drive, the rest of the ride was complete silence and I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing until I looked over and saw Anna smiling and tracing her lips with her fingers. That's when I realized that the idea of Anna and I beginning together wasn't such a crazy idea after all.