Chapter 1 Being Uncovered Derek's POV

It was the first day of summer yesterday have been the last day of junior year, and I woke up to a text from my favorite neighbor, best friend, and my favorite girl. Who were all the same person wrapped into one.

Heyyy :)! We are now free from Mr. Joshstens' terror! So I was thinking bonfire tonight at my house? Me, you, Jesse, Carrie, Meredith, Jodi, Will, Brandi, and Melissa? Around 10:30ish?

This text being from Anna, the girl of my dreams, I know I'm sounding really sensitive for a guy, but the way she does anything really just drives me crazy. We've been best friends since we were 11 years old and I can tell you her favorite color, book, movie, food, or anything else you'd want to know. And living across the street from her made it seem like some messed up love story she had once told me about. I replied back "Sound cool! but before that today is June 6th and a certain movies starts in about a hour and a half and it might just be based off one of your favorite books, and I might just have 2 tickets." I knew she would say yes, so I jumped in the shower and put on my Rocks, my purple American Eagle shirt, and my polo boots then I looked at my phone.

Oh my god!! Derek!!! you're so amazing I can't wait! I'll be there in 10 :)

That was about 5 minutes ago so I finished getting ready brush my teeth, put on some kilo axe, the one in the green container, and I heard Jesse come up the stairs.

"Hey Derek."

"Oh hey Jesse, I'm going to see a movie with Anna, but she wants to have a bonfire tonight and she said you could come."

"Okay cool, so, is this a date?"

"Jesse you should know better by now Anna and I are just friends, no matter how much I like her."

"Well, maybe if you weren't such a pussy and would actually make a move on her you wouldn't be stuck in the friend zone!!" Jesse said as he stormed off slamming his bedroom door shut.

Jesse wasn't always like that, but he liked the idea of me and Anna being together, mostly because Melissa, our older sister, had to take care of us since Mom and Dad had past last summer in a car crash. Anna was like my mom second daughter and Melissa's sister she never had, everyone in the family loved her including me, and she still stuck around no matter how royally I screw this family, she has stayed. When I say royally screw, I mean my drugs, I started doing weed a little after Mom and Dad died. It made the pain go away and for a little while I forgot, it wasn't until a few months ago I started to sell, and Anna still doesn't know, but this is a hard business to get out of. I heard the front do open.

"Derek, where are you?" Anna yelled from downstairs

"I'll be down in a minute." I yelled back thinking about what Jesse had said about me not making a move, and maybe he was right, but maybe she didn't like me at all. I started to walk down the stairs and Anna was sitting in the living on the couch, when she looked up her eyes directly looked at me. She jumped up off the couch and into my arms and gave a huge bear hug.

"Have I ever told you that you are the most amazing person ever?" she asked.

"Well you texted me that this morning, but other than that I don't think you have." I said jokingly

Anna let go of me, I took her hand and led her took my car, for a moment I felt so right and so real having her hold my hand I opened her door and walked around to the drivers side of my car. We had known each other for so long nothing was ever really awkward between us, she did her usual and opened the middle compartment of my car to look for some CD's but I had completely forgotten what else I had in there.

"So what is this doing in here?" Anna ask holding up about 2 oz. of my weed

"Oh well um I'm sorry Anna." I replied feeling a knot being in my stomach

"Derek you told me you were going to stop, and if we got pulled over and the police found this, Will would kill both of us." 

"I know, I said I was sorry."

"Whatever." Anna threw the package back into the compartment and put her seat belt on

The car ride was pretty silent on the way to the theater, all I could think to myself was how someone like Anna would never want to be with a guy like me. A guy who did and sold drugs wasn't on her application to the University of Iowa. I pulled into the parking lot and shut off the car, Anna let out a big sigh and put her hand on mine she leaned in and kissed my cheek, I had no idea where that had came from. I got out of the car and opened her door, she got out a waited for me to shut it, we slowly walked up to the entrance of the theater, Anna suddenly stopped before entering.

"Derek, I really sorry, I know you're going through a lot and I know you have me, Melissa, and Jesse riding your ass about stopping, I just want you to know I'm here you when and where ever okay?"

"I know you mean well but its like my time to myself and my problems just go away."

"I know if seems that way, but when that high isn't there anymore your problems are still going to be there." Anna said as she hugged me

We finished walking into the theater and bought some popcorn, sour patch kids, and some drinks. We sat at the top of the rows and looked down at all the couples cuddling and watching the movie, but we didn't mind. Half way through the movie I started to think about what Jesse had said about mine and Anna's relationship, so I did what I thought was appropriate, I put my my arm around her. Her reaction wasn't at all what I thought it would be, she looked at me, smiled and nuzzled her head on my shoulder, and suddenly I felt a hand touched mine, looked down and Anna was holding my hand. I don't know what it was but it felt like my heart was growing, it felt as if all my problems had gone away, like the way they did when I smoked but I knew that this feeling wouldn't fade because Anna had told Jesse and I that she was here to stay for both of us.

The movie got over about 2:30, so I asked Anna if she wanted to stop somewhere to eat, she said yes and decide to stop at a local family restaurant. She ordered chicken Alfredo and I ordered a burger and fries. We had just finished ordering when Anna looked at me and started to laugh.

"Hey what's so  funny?" I asked

"I don't know honestly, I don't." She replied still laughing

After awhile I started to laugh with her, and for the same reason, I had no clue what it was. This lasted about 5 minutes before a couple that was sitting across from us had told us to quiet down. Our food came out, as we finished eating, I told I needed to use the restroom, her phone had died and asked if she could use mine. I said yes without any hesitation, but as I came back from the restroom, Anna's face look like someone had told her someone died. 

"Anna, what's wrong?" I asked 

"Who's Dana, and why do they want to meet you at 7 to pick up Mary Jane?"  Anna asked as a tear rolled down her face. I didn't respond for awhile, as I tried to gather all m thoughts on how I should tell her

"Derek, don't lie to me right now, I want the whole truth and I promise it won't change the way I think about you, but tell me the truth, are you selling weed?

"Anna, I never meant to and I know I need to stop but its so hard to get out of, people will want to get back at me."

"I want you to stop you can finish this one but I want to go with you and and I want you to tell the guy that you aren't going to do this anymore, Derek I know that you're smarter than this and I know you can amount to more and Will can help with what and whoever."

"But Anna I," I was cut off

"No buts I don't care if it's dangerous, I'm tired of being worried about you." She said as she hugged me tight. As she hugged me I felt a sense of love and compassion, I couldn't tell what kind of love it was but she hadn't hugged this tight when my parents died. It was like she was trying to hold on the something that couldn't be held on to anymore. My innocence.