Chapter 20 - Group Chats

Song of the chapter - This Town by Niall Horan

My heart was thumping in my chest. The dreaded third period had finally happened, and it was worse than my nightmares could have predicted. I was shaking all over, from head to toe. I could barely unlock my phone, my fingers kept tapping the wrong numbers. I needed Robin. Or Stacey. Gosh even Gina might be helpful. Someone had to go to the library with me or I was going to lose it.

Ugly lose it, the worst kind. Tears and hyperventilating and passing out kind of losing it. No thank you. This was a massive SOS of the most desperate kind and I needed immediate response from all contacted parties. I decided the best and most efficient course of action was a group text. The girls and I all had one set up, but as soon as I could actually open up the chat, I added Gina so she could be my back up. She was a little scary, and a lot intimidating, and that was the kind of vibe I needed at the moment.

The message bar was open and waiting for me, but now that the phone was finally ready, my brain was not. I had no idea what to say. So instead of typing out a message to my ride or die, plus one, I closed the chat and opened last night's thread from Luke.

Yeah, Luke.

After I threw my phone in my bag, when Gina and I were at the book store, AKA my new favorite place on planet Earth, Luke had apparently sent one more text. Which I never saw until much later in the evening, so he basically blew up my phone wondering why I wasn't responding. Stalker much?

Of course, the second I saw his texts, I responded. And thus, the string of cryptic texts I was reading instead of messaging my back up. Last night it seemed just like any other convo between friends. But after what just happened in class, these messages had new meaning.

*WTF?!

*Mal, im so sorry...

*I knew he was no good

*R u ok?

*Mal dont be mad

*ok I kno it sounded like I was saying I told you so but...

*really I wasn't

*Mal

*ok nvr mind

Last night when I read them I felt embarrassed. The fact that Luke knew about the whole thing, and had predicted it, made everything he said hit me that much harder. He wasn't rubbing it in, but I still felt stupid for letting my heart get stomped on.

I know I said it wasn't broken, and that was true. Heartbreak doesn't happen in just a week. But it was bruised. It was sore. All of the attraction, and looks, and hand holding, ended up leading no where. It was like taking a long ride in the car with your favorite music and snacks, heading somewhere special, only to have car trouble and end up back where you started.

Once I read Luke's texts, I just wanted to go into hiding all over again, and pretend this was not my life. Instead of doing that, however, I decided to let Luke off the hook. He seemed to think I was mad at him just because I hadn't responded.

*Relax. It's all good. - M

*i mean it sucks, but I'm okay - M