Chapter 6 - Fridays

Song of the chapter - One Way Or Another by One Direction

After sort of meeting the boy of my daydreams, TJ or Tyler or whatever he told people to call him, we didn't say anything else to each other. I was basically completely freaking out. I mean, when does that even happen? It was weird, like something out of a movie or a dumb book, right?

So my tongue was out of commission, even talking with Robin and Bella. I was down to one word or nonsense answers like, yeah, or sure. I even said something like 'wumph' at some point. My brain was fuzzy with confusion and my heart was racing. My mouth went completely dry so that I had trouble swallowing. Basically I was a mess. I decided to stay away from TJ/Tyler to avoid making a fool of myself.

He stayed on the boys side of the bonfire and never attempted to talk with me again. But I could feel him looking at me, like a burning sensation on the side of my face. I did give in to temptation and glance over at him. I mean, I'm only human right? And he was really good looking, I could hardly believe how good looking he was. I kept thinking, why is he even looking at me? I figured he was trying to see if he could make me nervous. Yeah, he won that little game. Guilty as charged.

But when I looked at him, our eyes locked. Staring contest. A really weird staring contest. He didn't smile or look away, and he had a look on his face that I couldn't figure out. My mail-reading skills were so weak at that point. Finally, I couldn't take it any more, so I looked away. If he had smiled or something, or at least nodded his head, I don't know. Anything. But no, I got nothing from him. Zero vibes. It was really unnerving.

He ended up leaving before most of us, saying he had to get back and finish packing for his big move. I wondered where he was moving, and how far away it was. Then right away I shook those thoughts off, like it mattered right? Robin and Bella didn't say much about it while we were at the beach. But later, on the drive home, Robin said something that made the little hairs on the back of my neck stand up straight.

"I think TJ liked you."

Great. Thanks for putting that thought in my mind. And there was no way for me to get in contact with him even if I wanted to. Which I didn't. Because he freaked me out.

It was like a cruel joke, and the universe seriously had it out for me. Here, Mallory. Here's the boy you created, the perfect boy for you. But now he's gone because you can't have him.

I kept telling myself that there were just a few coincidences. I mean looks and a name weren't that big of a deal. I'm sure there were lots of people named Tyler that looked like him and played soccer. I hardly talked with him at all and didn't know anything else about him. He could be a complete jackhole for all I knew.

The rest of the weekend was spent trying to put thoughts of TJ out of my mind. With little success. I had decided to just refer to him as TJ because calling him Tyler at that point seemed beyond weird. Bordering stalker or something. Even though that was completely ridiculous because I couldn't help it that he was exactly like the fictitious guy I had made up in my head. Like that was even my fault, right?

Anyway, at least I was able to avoid Seth for the most part. He was practically locked in his room and I was free to roam about. Ironically I still spent most of the time in my room studying. I believe I have already stated that homework was my life. At least it was pretty reliable, unlike the humans I encountered on a daily basis.

By Monday, I felt a little better. I was not as freaked out which was a good thing. Robin would have noticed and asked a million questions. And I so could not deal with that, I would have cracked under pressure and told her everything. No thanks. I would have liked to keep the facade of being more normal than I really was. So I went about my day in automatic pilot mode with my normal looking smile and typical classroom conversation.