Chapter 14 - Bleachers

Song of the chapter - Salute by Little Mix

Holding hands with a guy at school was better than I had ever dreamed. TJ made sure to walk me to my first class every day, holding my hand. Later he would meet me in the hallway on the way to English, and hold my hand. After class, he would walk me out, while holding my hand. And after school on days he didn't have practice, he would walk me to his car, my hand in his, and give me a ride home.

Then, of course, he would kiss me like crazy before I had to go in the house. That was actually the best part, but the hand holding was pretty good too.

On the days he did have practice, Robin and I would sit on the bleachers and watch. TJ would wink at me every time he glanced my way, and my heart would start beating so fast I thought I'd pass out. But the best part about all of this, the hand holding and the cute glances, was that suddenly people knew my name. They would wave at me and say hi, rather than walking past as though I was invisible. Although they should have remembered it all along, and I should have been angry that it took a boy for them to notice me, I honestly didn't care.

There was something about high school that sucked brain cells right out of people's heads and created this strange need to link people together in order for them to matter. The social circles people ran with was proof. I wasn't attached to any of them, so no one knew where to place me. But now I was a...whatever I was...and finally I was memorable.

No, he hadn't asked me to be his girlfriend. Which was a little awkward because he'd had his tongue in my mouth a few times, so that must mean he liked me. Plus all that public hand holding. And I know it was the "I'm a powerful woman" era and I could have asked him myself. But that wasn't gonna happen, because no. I just couldn't do it. I had no idea how to address that elephant in the room, so I just let sleeping dogs lie. Lay? Oh whatever, I wasn't asking him about it. Not yet. Or ever.

Leave me alone, would ya!

It was the end of the week, no not Friday thank goodness, although since TJ had been around, Friday's didn't suck nearly as much. But it was the end of the day on Thursday. TJ had practice, but instead of watching, Robin and I planned to have a joint study session for math. She needed my help and I figured it would refresh all of my sophomore math skills.

As we walked towards the lot, which we had to pass in order to get to the back gate, Luke was leaving at the same time. We walked passed him, so naturally I waved and said, "See ya!" like a totally normal person would do.

Luke's reaction was not normal. In fact it was completely abnormal. He glared. Not just any glare, the kind that says, "You suck."

I stopped dead in my tracks and just looked at him with my mouth hanging open. Like what? Since when did he hate me so hard? Since when did our classroom friendship become a frenemy situation? Of all the people in the school, he was the one who kind of knew who I was, and now that I've crossed the invisible barrier into acknowledgment land, he was pissed off.

We stood there in a silent stare off for a couple of seconds until I finally got the guts to say something.

"What's wrong?"

Smooth, right?

"Nothing." His voice didn't sound like nothing, it sounded like a big old something.

"Then why the tension?" I gestured between the two of us. "Did I do something to you?"

"No." Same kind of not-nothing sound.