Chapter 18

No one really said anything as the three brothers and Haley drove back home.   Everyone was too tired to say anything, but when they got home Leo and Haley did linger in the living room.  

Before Haley could go to her room for the night, Leo spoke up.  "Before we go to bed, I have something for you.  Come with me," He said as he walked past the young girl and to his room.  

Haley followed him quietly.  She wondered what he had for her.  She also wondered why he had something for her.  Sure, Halloween was a holiday but it didn't have any significance to her specifically.   Plus, she hadn't really heard of anyone giving each other gifts on Halloween either.  

She watched Leo open his room, which was impeccably clean like always.  He stepped aside to let Haley walk in before closing the door behind him.  Haley glanced at him.  "Leo, we're not supposed to close the door..." 

"It won't be long," Leonardo said as he walked past her again, giving her a gentle smile.  He sat on his bed and patted beside him, signaling for her to sit.

Haley smirked slightly.  "Since when do you go against Splinter's rules?"  

Leonardo rolled his eyes.  "You're starting to sound like Raph," He paused as Haley sat down.  "In all honesty, I'm more worried about my brother's overhearing our conversation than I am about us doing something we regret," Haley blushed slightly as Leo then reached under his pillow.  He then pulled out a small package, wrapped neatly in what looked like the comic section of a newspaper.  "For you." 

Haley glanced at Leo before taking the box in her hands.  She slowly unwrapped the paper and opened the box to find a small booklet inside it.  It looked homemade, almost like a scrapbook.  She picked it up and opened the first page.  

She saw her family.  A picture of her family, different from the one in her room.  They were pictures of her growing up.  Random ones of her and her siblings and cousins climbing trees, riding horses, waving from their treehouse.  There were ones of her as a baby with her parents, as a toddler enjoying life.  Her parents were smiling, laughing even, like they didn't have any cares in the world.  Tears came to Haley's eyes instantly.  "W-where did you get all of these?"  

Leo smiled.  "I may or may not have gotten in touch with your cousins over Facebook with Donnie's help.  I told them everything that happened and how you're safe and emancipated but are staying with my family in New York.  I told them that I wanted to help you heal since your family didn't get a funeral, but in a way that helped you remember the positive times, the reason you never gave up on your family.  So, they helped gather a bunch of pictures with you and your family in them.  They sent them to me, I had Donnie print them off and I put it all together," He smiled.  

Haley wiped the tears away, but they were quickly replaced by more.  "Leo, I don't know what to say..." 

"You don't have to say anything," Leo smiled.  "I know how hard everything must be right now, especially with your birthday and the holidays coming up.  I want you to feel at home here.  I don't want you to go, but I don't want you to feel like you have to forget the family you had.  They were a part of you, and they've influenced you into the person you have become."  

Haley wiped the tears away as she hugged the scrapbook to her chest.  "Thank you, so much," She said as she leaned onto Leo's shoulder, like a hug but not wanting to let go of the scrapbook at the same tie.  Leo understood and wrapped his arm around her.  

Leo didn't want to let go.  In fact, he wished they could stay there forever.  Haley wouldn't ever have to worry about school, her future, or anything else.  And Leo didn't have to worry about the Foot Clan, Shredder, Karai, or the Kraang when he was there.  He was able to sleep in peace, leaving that all on the outside.  But he knew that was foolish.  He awkwardly cleared his throat and gave Haley another squeeze before letting go.  

He stood up and walked to the door.  "We-We better not get caught in here together with the door closed," He opened it slowly.  "C'mon.  You've had a long night.  I'll walk you to your room so you can get some sleep."  

Haley nodded as she stood up from Leo's bed.  She walked over to the door and headed to her room at the other end of the hallway.  Splinter had thought it better to keep Leo and Haley further apart since their relationship was steadily growing closer, slowly but steadily.  She heard Leo's footsteps behind her as she opened her door and turned on the lights in her room.  

Leo was shocked to see that her room was just as clean and organized as it had been the night she came home from the hospital.  The only thing new was a few rolls of bandages on her dresser, probably to repair her bandages which were having to get less and less thick since they were healing.  

Leo smiled as Haley turned to face him.  "Good night, Haley.  I'll see you in the morning."  

Haley smiled back.  She could feel herself blushing.  "Yeah.  Goodnight Leo," She whispered before quickly raising up on her toes and giving him a slight kiss on his cheek.  "Thank you so much," She said before quickly rushing into her room and closing the door behind her.  

Leo gulped as he felt Haley's soft lips touched his skin.  He stood there stunned in silence as he watched her close the door.  He couldn't help but smile.  He felt like he was walking on cloud nine.  He would never be able to sleep that night now.