Chapter 17

Haley sighed slightly as she turned to the next page of her book.  She was thankful that the guys would bring her a new book every few days, adding to her growing collection.  She had so much free time on her hands since she wasn't going to school in person anymore or having dance practice.  This allowed her to read one book in just a few days basically.  

She was just about to turn another page before she felt a hand on her shoulder.  She looked up to see Leo smiling down at her.  "Sorry to interrupt.  I just wanted to let you know we're leaving soon." 

Haley nodded, slipping her bookmark into the pages.  "Okay.  Just let me put my book back in my room.  The last one I left on the couch ended up with a  soda stain on the cover,"  She said as she stood and started walking to her room.  Leonardo followed her.  "What are we planning on doing tonight?  Just hanging out of the rooftops?" 

"Kinda," Leonardo smiled.  "We usually walk around the streets for a bit first.  Once it gets later, we usually go to the rooftops, but if you want to go home sooner, I can bring you back."  

Haley nodded again as she and Leo walked out of her room and into the living room where Donnie and Raph were waiting.  Donnie crossed his arms.  "There you two are.  Now all we're waiting on is Mikey."  

Raph nodded.  "Where is that bonehead?" 

"Here!"  Mikey screamed as he ran into the living room.  Everyone turned to see Mikey struggling to move in... a onesie?!  A Darth Vader onesie by the looks of the hood.  The fabric strained against Mikey's shell, also restricting his own movements.  

It took a few seconds, but Leo, Raph, and Donnie all busted into fits of laughter.  Donnie is the first to catch his breath, but only for a second to talk.  "Mikey, where did you get that?" 

"The costume store.  I'm Darth Vader!  It was the only thing that would fit over the shell."  Mikey explained.  "I tried to find it in a larger size, but they were all out."  

Raph kept laughing.  "Darth Vader?  You look like a sausage link!  If you eat one piece of candy that thing is going to bust."  

"I do not!"  Mikey screamed back.  

Leonardo rolled his eyes with laughter.  "Mikey, lose the onesie.  We're mutants.  We don't need costumes."

"But-" 

"Mikey!"  Raph screamed.  "C'mon.  You're making everyone wait!"  

"Awww.  Fine," Mikey said before unzipping the onesie.  It nearly popped off Mikey's skin with the relief of pressure from the zipper.  "Wasted a good thirty bucks on this thing too," Mikey said as he followed everyone to the Shellrazor.  

Donnie hopped into the driver's seat with Raph in the passenger, leaving Leo, Haley, and Mikey in the back.  Leonardo leaned up to the front.  "I got the okay from April to hang out on her street tonight.  She said they'll be lots of kids out so it will look like we're just in costume." 

Donnie nodded.  "Sounds good, Leo."  

Raph chuckled.  "Casey texted me this morning and told me he was stuck on trick-or-treating duty with Malyssa and Gunner.  April is staying at the apartment with the baby, handing out candy to the kids who come by.  Casey's invited us to join them, but they haven't left yet so we could just go to the apartment to start."  

Leo nodded.  "Sounds like a plan."

Donnie nodded too, using back alleys to maneuver through the city.  This wasn't what he usually did, but there was less to move around in the alleys, and he didn't want to accidentally hit a kid with the giant van.  It only took a few minutes, but he put the van in park and everyone piled out.